Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Love it!

I absolutely love the name Rafe and it's currently on the short list for our baby boy. I first came across it in Hilary Mantel's book Wolf Hall (and Bring Up The Bodies) where Rafe Sadler is Thomas Cromwell's adopted son and a very fine chap! Love the strong sound and historical connotations - it's unusual but still a 'proper' name unlike so many made-up names around now (not that there's anything wrong with that!). The only thing holding me back is that I have a close friend who has just name her boy Rafee, if not for that I think it would be my no. 1 choice - go for it!

Rafe versus Ralph.

Britberry here! In response to Peanut.... It was the actor Ralph Fiennes who started pronouncing his name 'Rafe' which WAS viewed as pretentious when he was clearly called Ralph! However, if you spell the name as Rafe then there's nothing pretentious about it as Rafe is a strong and genuine name in it's own right. Personally I love it!

I actually really liked Rafe until this post made me realize it rhymes with rape. Now that I am aware of that, I personally wouldn't use it. But if you really love it and can get over that, then use it. It really is a handsome name.

Agreeing, that even if you don't think of 'rape' immediately, if pointed out, one could never un-think it. Not worth it to me.

I would use the nn Raph short for Raphael, probably not Rafe.