Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Questions on twins?

It seems like there are so many sets of little twins around these days! I've come across quite a few who've been gifted with great names, but there seems to be two different approaches to naming twins.

The parents who look to match the twins names, giving them the same meanings or same initials or same sounds.

The parents who treat it no differently than naming two siblings.

What approach would you take if you had twins? What would you call them?

Also the names that inspired this

Marilee and Jubilee (Girls)
    Aurora and Althea (Also Girls)
    Bran and Jax (Boys)
    Luka and Melodine (Boy/Girl)
    Bruno and Hugo (Boys)
    Tallulah, Persephone, Eris, Saskia, Natasha, Zhanna, Matthias, Andreas, Dean, Isaac, Jude, Christopher, Caleb, Victor, Fabian, Skyler, Dexter, Cecily, Alannah, Savannah, Hester, Britta, Xanthe, Temperence, Violetta, Anton, Anatoly, Maksym, Ilya, Raphael, Gabriel, Xanthe, Carmen, Electra, Dahlia.

Naming twins should be approached in the same way as silbings - the names should be different but complementary. It's fine to mix styles (traditional, mythological, classical or vintage) but the names shouldn't be so different that they sound like they come from two families who are worlds apart. Personally, I wouldn't pair a frilly and feminine name with a unisex/surname twin (eg. Isabella and Sloane). The pair just lack cohesion for me. However, it may not bother other people so much. My mind works a lot with "style matching" whereas other people are not too concerned with it. Twins and other multiples are INDIVIDUALS first and foremost and this should always take precedence over anything else.

These sets are ok.

Aurora and Althea (Also Girls) - depending on your "comfort level" this pair could go either way. They share an initial and ending (matchy) and yet they sound different from each other.
    Bran and Jax (Boys) - I don't like the names but they are fine together
    Luka and Melodine (Boy/Girl) - They have a European vibe.

These sets are too matchy.

Marilee and Jubilee (Girls)
    Bruno and Hugo (Boys)
    Last edited by mischa; September 22nd, 2013 at 04:59 PM.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I always cringe when I hear too matchy twinsets. I'm actually watching a Danish television-Christmas-calender-series-thing right now which stars twin called Mille and Molly in supporting roles and I think it's WAY too matchy. I'm also really picky when it comes to twinsets. I've fallen head over heels for Elladan and Elrohir (Arwen's twin-brothers) as middles in a boy-twinset. I generally really like when the connection is in the middle names, that's a lot less tacky than having the connection in the first names.

On my list of great twin-middles:
    Elladan and Elrohir
    Alexander and Cleopatra/Helios and Selene
    Ivik and Ivalo
    Artemisia and Zenobia
    Hera and Juno
    Rhaenys and Visenya

Of the names you've listed, I really like Bruno and Hugo together, however, because of the u/o connection, I would probably make them middles.
    Last edited by shvibziks; September 22nd, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting old Danish names, Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Théoden "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Johanna Ivalo Galadriel "Anna" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise

And for the moment: Atticus Aksel Inigo • Aviaaja Cleopatra Hero "Avi" • Fabiola Agnes Lúthien

I wouldn't give twins names that are too matchy such as Leah and Mia or Aiden and Brayden. I would consider giving them names that start with the same letter but are still different enough to be individual such as Leo and Layla or Ardyn and Anna. If the twins were identical I would give them names that maybe have the same meaning but don't start with the same letter or sound such as Ethan and Garrett
    Mommy to: Samuel Elliot ~5/4/10~
    Lydia Jane ~9/15/13~

I don't like it too matchy, but same letter doesn't bother me at all. I prefer two similar style names on bb or gg. BG is a little more tricky or adventurous depending on how you want to look at it.