Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

For those who work with children..

Has a naughty or disruptive child (with your favourite name) ruined the name for you?
    Has it created a bad connotation with the name because of a child you've worked with?
    Have you had a naughty kid with a beautiful name and still used the name anyway?
    Are you a teacher and has naming your child been influenced by your students? eg bad association, good association, not wanting to be accused of favouritism etc?
    Are there any other unique situations you've faced naming a child whilst working with children?
    Matilda Kate (Therese), Vivienne (Saint) Lux, Adelaide (Margaret) Dahl.
    Vincent John, William Charles.

I don't work with children but I've been put off names by horrible children in my eldest's class - she was bullied by a couple of girls for a while and unfortunately they had names I would have otherwise considered for this baby, no chance of me ever using them now.
    My lovely trio: Harriet, Abigail and Joseph

I volunteer in an IND Unit at my moms' school, if anything the kids are so loving that I've actually started to like their names. Being in the elementary school, there are some kids who are annoying, and they usually have "unique" names, so there was nothing to ruin. But there are kids who I've personally gone to school with that have ruined a couple names for me, that were actually at the top of my list, but just hearing the name now puts a sour taste in my mouth.
    Megan

no kids anytime soon, just a name fanatic

I'm a nanny, not a teacher, so this is different for me. I work with kids more one-on-one than most teachers get to, and that's usually all i need to get past the naughtiness. It usually only takes a few weeks for my kids to learn that Nanny means business, and once they know the boundaries they usually stop trying to test them.

I associate names of kids with their parents, and being a nanny, i will say honestly: the parents are sometimes the worst part of your job. Don't get me wrong, they can be great too. But there's always the parents who let their kids ruin wild because they can't be bothered to do anything, our the ones who expect the nanny to do the discipline so the kid doesn't think mommy is mean/strict. When you're working and making progress with a kid's behavior, its usually those parents who ruin it.

So for me, there are names i wouldn't use, but its not because of the kid, its how i associate it with their parents. Calvin, for example, is a name i associate with lax parents who expect the nanny to discipline, and then refuse to maintain the rules for their kid once they're present. We'll be doing well, Calvin will be throwing less tantrums, eating his veggies without complaint, going to bed with a story and a kiss instead of a two-hour scram fest about wanting to stay up and watch TV. Then suddenly here come mum and dad, who, without Calvin asking, announce that he doesn't have to eat veggies or take a bath our have a bedtime. Its so frustrating. I could never name a kid Calvin.

Or Rachel. Rachel is the kid whose mom has never ever said the word "no." I don't think Rachel's mom even knows saying no is an option. Rachel is perfectly behaved with me. She seems to like the rules, she never breaks them. She's a delight to talk to, does what she's asked. Sweet kid. And then her mom comes and Rachel seems to know that her mom doesn't expect her to listen or follow directions, and she's perfectly happy to oblige, and its ten minutes of sickly-sweet voiced requests of "Rachel is time to put your shoes on" and watching Rachel completely and totally ignore/defy all requests. So i could never name a kid Rachel.

Chloe, though. Chloe is a spitfire with a very strict mom. Chloe's mom is my favorite, she had the best rules, the most well-behaved children. Chloe has a mind of her own, though. She can be sweet as honey one minute, and then with a devilish grin she'll be off and you know she's making mischief somewhere. She's the 2-year old that tells you "no" with a grin while chewing gum (that she isn't supposed to have but always manages to find) when you ask her to clean up her toys. And when she's had a time-out and a good think, she'll clean them up and apologize with a hug, a wet kiss on your cheek, and a "me be good now," and ten minutes later she's off doing something devious. Oh yeah, i could name a kid Chloe.

So if you hire me, beware: i judge the parenting more harshly than the child.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

In a word, yes. Though with the child it's only actually happened once. I work with infants and toddlers and in my experience it's the parents who encourage the bad behaviour by not actually dealing with it. Frankly, at this age, the child is never the real problem. Every child goes through periods which are more challenging for the adults and other children in their lives (it's normal and healthy for them to test and to find out where the boundaries are), but the parents who don't see a reason to make boundaries clear to their kids are those with the names which have, unfortunately, forever been ruined for me.