Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Transitioning to Soilds?

So my daughter is almost 5 months & exclusively breastfed, no bottle even.. she hasnt seem full & is eating constantly lately so I figured I wpuld start a month earlyer than planned & try the cereal tomorrow mixed with breastmilk.

My doctor was very vague about the transition, what to expect & advancing. I understand every baby is different but how did everyone else transition, everything I read online seems so contradicting. Dont give water & juice only bm others say wean bm with more juice.

I know its all done gradually but I still kinda feel lost. I read people are feeding actual soilds after the cereal & purees but also nurse constantly but then others by 9 months are only nursing at night or morning night & occasionally naps ect.

I'm not planning on giving my baby cereal at all...I think the benefits of skipping outweigh the benefits of giving it. Not sure if we'll do baby led weaning yet - I'd like to, but if she's acting starving constantly before she's ready for solid solids, I might start with puréed stuff. I plan on starting with mild veggies before going to sweeter fruits.
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13

Oh, and don't give water and juice until a year (or later if you'd like to breastfeed throughout the day for longer). There's no need to give a baby juice at all, IMO, too much sugar.

For breastfeeding to give her the most/best nutrients for longer, continue to nurse whenever she is hungry, then offer a small bit of food afterwards.

Oh, and don't give water and juice until a year (or later if you'd like to breastfeed throughout the day for longer). There's no need to give a baby juice at all, IMO, too much sugar.

For breastfeeding to give her the most/best nutrients for longer, continue to nurse whenever she is hungry, then offer a small bit of food afterwards.

I also suggest researching baby led weaning.
    Juice is definitely unnecessary, see if you can ask your local Child Health Nurse about the recent research.

A recent workshop on transitioning to solids that I attended said babies benefit more from starting on vegetables and meats rather than cereal and purée.
    The reason behind this was that breast fed babies can be lacking in iron (extra iron is added in formula) and vegetables have varied non sweet flavours.
    Babies started on cereals and fruit(many infant cereals and yoghurt have much added sugar) have been found to have a sweet tooth or prefer sweets over vegetables.

Hope this is helpful!!
    Eliza Audrey | Freya Madeleine | Nora Evelyn | Amalia Hazel | Ada Marlowe
    ------------------------------------------
    Ronan Seth | Owen Everett | Ewan Alexander | Leo Benjamin | Eamon Reid