Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need a name for a high class, well educated man

I been working on a story for almost two years and over the last six months I haven't been able to find any time for writing. I almost have all the names for the main characters finished....other than middle names.

One of my characters has been very difficult to name. Nothing seems to gel together. I'll find a good name but no surname to match and visa versa.

This character started out as a Robin. Then he was Luther. Then he was Hollis.

So, I'll tell you about him. He's a black man in his early 40's. He's high class and very well educated. Now he's not 'stuffy' high class; not only is he smart, he can adapt to most situations. He doesn't like camping, but he'd take his kids camping if it made them happy. That being said, he's never taken the kids (he has two) camping because he works from home and his job usually comes before most things. He lives in Toronto in a huge house up on a hill...the locals call his place 'the rock'. He has an underground office that is always locked. This guy is private. He's loves his family with everything he has but is often cold to them. His marriage is far from perfect. His wife wasn't born into money and if she's not out shopping, she's meeting with strange men in classy bars.

This is what I picture him to look like: http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/sw...6d01e.jpg.html

I saw a Luther and a Hollis, but now I'm feeling Reese, in fact, I love Reese.

As for surnames, I've been looking through this: http://names.mongabay.com/data/black.html for the perfect last name. Surnames are not my speciality.

This character's wife's name is Paula. They have two children I was thinking of naming Reed and Tia, but they are not carved in stone.

As for combo's, I like
    Luther Suggs....love the last name...it's no something one hears often.
    Luther Hicks
    Reese Hawkins
    Benton Reese...Love this one.
    Elijah Bennett

I'd love to hear thoughts on the names listed, and I'd love other suggestions for names as well as surnames.

Much thanks
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I don't have any children, but I write like crazy and am always looking for names for characters. I think I'm a half decent story teller, a mediocre writer, but horrible at picking names.

Favorites: Ainsley, Everly, Shay, Bryce, Michaela, Bree, Susannah, Jensen, Damien, Anson, James, Dalton, Sawyer, Alaric

Luther Suggs is definitely intriguing. There's a mystery around the guy simply by hearing his name, and you know right away he's not your average rich Toronto guy.

I have to say, when I saw the picture though, the guy striked me as a Langston, a Gordon or an August, but maybe August and Gordon could go in the middle too. Luther August Suggs, a little clunky sounding, but it might work. Luther Gordon Suggs flows probably better. Sorry for sprining even more names on you! I hope you won't mind!
    Irene; Name lover in her twenties; single; Languages student by day, writer by night.

Current favorites, not in order:
    Emily - Evelyn - Hadley - Alice - Emma - Olivia - Zoey - Greta - Eden - Jezebel - Zelda - Anna - Charlotte
    Ethan - Adam - William - Peter - Harvey - Galen - Kenneth - Kieran - Theo - Zander - Daniel - Ezra - Gabriel - Blake

The National's Names List

Peculiar Italian Names for Girls

I like "definitely intriguing". I saw Suggs listed on that website I provided the link to and when I saw it, I thought it might not be a good idea....people might mistake it for Slug, but I took note of it and I kept coming back to it.

About a year ago, I was trying to name a character in another story I was working on and I was having a heck of a time. I came up with his first name, Jason, right away, but the last name....nothing worked. I ended up finding the surname Westfall (a very different, uncommon) surname. It totally fit because Jason is very into nature and he's a logger so Westfall totally fit. I'm sort of feeling that way with Suggs. It might not be the most 'classy, upper-class' sounding name, but there is just something about it.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I don't have any children, but I write like crazy and am always looking for names for characters. I think I'm a half decent story teller, a mediocre writer, but horrible at picking names.

Favorites: Ainsley, Everly, Shay, Bryce, Michaela, Bree, Susannah, Jensen, Damien, Anson, James, Dalton, Sawyer, Alaric

I like Luther... I saw the picture and thought Roland, Walter or Lawrence. Arthur could also work and is similar to Luther.

Have you considered looking at this surname list to find names for his first name? For example, Jackson, Walker, Davis, Thomas, Allen, Martin, etc could be first and last names. These surnames used as first names always have a slight air of sophistication to me.

As for Suggs, there is a famous NFL player with this last name so it is something familiar to me but I think it works.