Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Question Cleo's Sister: All History, Sass & Simplicity

To me, Cleo is perfect.

It's cool, uncommon yet familiar, sassy, and has plenty of history. It works for a preppy girl, a party girl, a bookish girl- basically anyone. It's all fire and fun to me- I imagine an artsy girl whose ultimate dream is to be an editor for a fashion magazine. She makes new things out of old clothes by flashlight when she's told that it's lights-out, and likes to make collages from her favorite magazines and hang them up in her bedroom. She's an ambitious social butterfly who plays soccer and loves bright colors. That's just the imagery for the moment- tomorrow I'll imagine a raven-haired beauty of black-and-white films, or... I don't even know, the artistic one is all I can think of for the moment

But what would be a fitting sister?

What could match the chameleon Cleo, the queenly, the smart, the modern-and-vintage-and-everything-in-between?

My only thought is Beatrix, nn Trixie. Beatrix itself is gorgeous, but I can only picture a pretty bookish girl with glasses reading Jane Eyre, which is lovely, but do you think it matches Cleo? Trixie adds some extra spice, but is it fair that Beatrix has nn options and Cleo really doesn't?

Middle name would be Mary. Cleo's would be Eleanor- both are family names, and I wouldn't want to change either one. TIA!

P.S. I tried posting this in the sibs forum and got 2 nice responses, but not too many people seem to read that forum, so...
    Last edited by namelover77; September 20th, 2013 at 09:38 PM.
    | Arabella Monet | Henrietta Plum | Isolde Noor | Agatha Ruby | Marian Primrose |
    | Emma Berlin | Cressida Lilac | Jessamine Lark | Vivienne Snow | Ireland Eve |

Wow, you expressed my feelings about Cleo perfectly! It's a really singular name, isn't it? So excellent.

Cleo is on my list, and I've toyed with the following others with it:

Aravis
    Aviva
    Aya
    Coraline
    Cosima
    Esmé
    Gemma (unless you're in the UK, where it's a bit dated)
    Isis
    Ismay
    Juniper
    Lilith
    Luna
    Mazarine
    Opal
    Phoebe
    Thisbe
    Viola
    Gwen
    (film student, name nerd, regular nerd, bad influence)

Current favorites:
    Ismay Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

I think you need a shorter name to go for a sibling to Cleo for example Tess or Isla. Some other names that immediately came to mind:
    Vivienne
    Thalia
    Bryn
    Cat / Kat (short for Katrina or Katerina or something)
    Lilac
    Willa
    Thea (Tay-a)
    Daisy
    (\_/)
    (o.o)
    (><) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Yay! Great ideas!

Gwen: Cleo is so fabulous! And I LOVE your other ideas... The one that stuck out to me the most is Viola. Cleo and Viola? How fantastic! I also loved Aya, Esme, Gemma, Isis and Lilith. I toyed with the idea of Isis too- I love it quite a bit- but wouldn't Isis and Cleo seem too Ancient Egyptian together? I mean, there's nothing wrong with Ancient Egypt, but having nothing to do with that culture, I'd just feel weird with a big theme like that.

Waverly1234: I do love Tess and Cleo! They feel rather boho together. I also loved Willa and Thea from your list.

Thanks, and keep 'em coming! xoxo
    | Arabella Monet | Henrietta Plum | Isolde Noor | Agatha Ruby | Marian Primrose |
    | Emma Berlin | Cressida Lilac | Jessamine Lark | Vivienne Snow | Ireland Eve |

Oh yay, you like Viola! It's my all-time favorite, so I wasn't sure if it actually went well with Cleo or if that was just me loving both names way too much. And yeah, Cleo and Isis is a bit themey, but they have such equal-and-opposite vibes to me that it kinda works. In my head, anyway.
    Gwen
    (film student, name nerd, regular nerd, bad influence)

Current favorites:
    Ismay Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr