Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Effie

Effie

Really liking this (ok, I love the UK drama, Skins, and one of the lead characters, played by Kaya Scodelario, was named Effy, it got me hooked on the name, as well as the names Freddie, Anthony and Naomi) name, and I love it as a nickname, but I'm not sure what it could be a nickname for. All I have is:

Elizabeth (Effy from Skins' proper name, not sure how it was shortened to Effy though)
    Stephanie
    Persephone
    Euphemia

I like Elizabeth, but I'm not sure how it gets to Effie, and the only other one I like is Persephone. Any other names that Effie could be a nickname for? Also, could Effie be a stand alone name?
    Girls: Doris ❀ Amelia ❀ Freya ❀ Martha ❀ Violet ❀ Lauren ❀ Mabel ❀ Lillian ❀ Minnie ❀ Honey ❀ Emily
    Amelie ❀ Daisy ❀ Florence ❀ Imogen ❀ Edna ❀ Eleanor ❀ Eva ❀ Evelyn ❀ Clara

Boys: Matthew ✿ Louis ✿ Ernest ✿ Christopher ✿ Barclay ✿ Adam ✿ Andrew
    Charlie ✿ Harrison ✿ Daniel ✿ Joshua ✿ James ✿ Thomas ✿ Henry

~no matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world~

Effie makes me think of someone avoiding swearing, "what the eff!?"

Sorry

Josephine? I don't really like it as a stand-alone name, but it's a cute nn. It feels more casual and childish than Evie, Edie, etc (which I think are fine on their own).

I think Effie is a cute nickname..it's quite common in older ladies where I live. I've thought about calling my daughter Fiona, Effie. It's a stretch but could work.
    Mom to Mhairi Elizabeth (March 19, 2010) & Fiona Lilidh (Dec 21, 2012) Baby #3 Due March 2014

I love Effie from Skins! I actually like it best as a nn for Elizabeth, and don't mind that it's not an obvious nickname.
    I think the nn in general is very cute and IMO, having Effie from Skins as a reference, it can fit someone a bit older too!

To me, ElizabETH = Ethie (hard to say) = Effie
    (If you feel like you would need to justify it for Elizabeth)
    20 yr old name nerd, nanny & health and nutrition undergrad

Loving for the ladies: Harriet, Olive, Daphne and Frances
    And for the gentlemen: Peter, Charles and Beau (much harder than girls for me)

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer -Albert Camus