Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by casilda View Post
    I've never heard of a child named Peter or Richard get made fun of for their name (that goes for the people with the surname of Johnson as well). Also, X-Files started when I was 7 and ended when I was 16. I know who Fox Mulder is but only associate the name Mulder with him. I don't know anyone my age that ever watched the show so I'm not too sure Fox Mulder will be an association for many people.
    Im suprised!are you seriously saying you've never heard of Richard being shortened to Dick? The old Richard Cranium joke? Or of a penis being referred to as a Johnson? Or even One-Eye Pete? These were around, cruel as they were, back in my grandfather's era.....
    Last edited by aveline_bellefleur; September 21st, 2013 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by casilda View Post
    I've never heard of a child named Peter or Richard get made fun of for their name (that goes for the people with the surname of Johnson as well). Also, X-Files started when I was 7 and ended when I was 16. I know who Fox Mulder is but only associate the name Mulder with him. I don't know anyone my age that ever watched the show so I'm not too sure Fox Mulder will be an association for many people.

I knew a kid names Richard and he got called rick the "d$@$k"

I also knew a kid named William who got called free willy because he was chunky. I think in some cases normal names can get teasing too. The most I can't think of for Fox is that it's an animal or he might get called foxy

Quote Originally Posted by aveline_bellefleur View Post
    Im suprised!are you seriously saying you've never heard of Richard being shortened to Dick? The old Richard Cranium joke? Or of a penis being referred to as a Johnson? Or even One-Eye Pete? These were around, cruel as they were, back in my grandfather's era.....
    I'm saying no one I know with those names ever got teased for them. I'm well aware that Richards are sometimes called Dick (my grandpa is Richard 'Dick') and the Richards I went to school with were always Rick or Ricky. None of them were ever called a dick. The family I knew with the surname of Johnson was never called penis, even though yes, we all know a penis was called a Johnson. My cousin Peter has never been called anything other than Peter.

Now, if a child was Richard 'Dick', I'm sure he'd be teased all the time.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Quote Originally Posted by rockabella2009 View Post
    I knew a kid names Richard and he got called rick the "d$@$k"

I also knew a kid named William who got called free willy because he was chunky. I think in some cases normal names can get teasing too. The most I can't think of for Fox is that it's an animal or he might get called foxy
    Okay, but I've never, ever heard of it happening in my area and for some reason, Richard is a pretty popular name. In the case of the William you knew, he would have been teased regardless of what his name was.

Foxy as an "attractive" term is used in a rather derogatory way. Silver fox is another not-so-great term.

Even if it is used mostly for women, that still doesn't make it okay to use it for men. Other animals, such as Bear or Pike, don't have those rather strong negative associations.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

I have disagree with previous posts. I absolutely love the name Fox, as you can tell by looking at my signature. Maybe its because I'm a syfy/fantasy writer, but I still think that the name itself is adorable. Milo Fox Bennett has my vote.
    Ingrid Genevieve | Evanna Yvaine | Winifred Pearl | Astra Gillian | Hazel Odette
    Rose Mireille | Irene Octavia | Andromeda Neve | Phaedra Delphine

Damian Orion | Simon Cornelius | Eleazar Maximus | Gareth Ryan
    Raphael Abram | Wendell Alder | Shepherd Phoenix