Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Ellen dated?

Is Ellen dated?

Can you visualize it on a little girl or does it scream "older woman" to you?

And would everyone want to call her Ellie? I really don't like that nickname.

We have our ultrasound Monday and I'm waiting until afterward to bring up girl names again with my husband (if it's a girl - obviously if it's a boy we won't need them!). I like Eleanor or Elinor, and Ella (so popular, though), but Ellen seems to flow more smoothly into the middle name I want to use, Hermione. It was also a name my husband originally suggested. I wasn't open to it at the time, but now that I've thought about it more it sounds very sweet and old-fashioned to me, which is my favorite kind of name!

Any other suggestions similar to Ellen? I feel as though, to go nicely with Hermione, the name must be two syllables and end with a letter other than A.

Thanks!
    Trustedwriter

P.S. Ugh, I Google "Ellen" and EVERY HIT on the first page is about Ellen DeGeneres. I kid you not. Is this just because I Googled the name by itself and that's the name of her show? Or will that be the first thing that comes into everybody's heads when they are introduced to a baby Ellen? I'm not very pop-culture savvy so I have no idea...
    Speculative fiction writer and mother to Charles Theophilus (2.5 years), Corinna Melisande -- nicknamed Cora (13 months), and the Tiny Girl (due Feb. 2014). Lover of studious, ancient boy names and sweet, intelligent girl names with a touch of fairy-tale beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by trustedwriter View Post
    Can you visualize it on a little girl or does it scream "older woman" to you?

And would everyone want to call her Ellie? I really don't like that nickname.

We have our ultrasound Monday and I'm waiting until afterward to bring up girl names again with my husband (if it's a girl - obviously if it's a boy we won't need them!). I like Eleanor or Elinor, and Ella (so popular, though), but Ellen seems to flow more smoothly into the middle name I want to use, Hermione. It was also a name my husband originally suggested. I wasn't open to it at the time, but now that I've thought about it more it sounds very sweet and old-fashioned to me, which is my favorite kind of name!

Any other suggestions similar to Ellen? I feel as though, to go nicely with Hermione, the name must be two syllables and end with a letter other than A.

Thanks!
    Trustedwriter

P.S. Ugh, I Google "Ellen" and EVERY HIT on the first page is about Ellen DeGeneres. I kid you not. Is this just because I Googled the name by itself and that's the name of her show? Or will that be the first thing that comes into everybody's heads when they are introduced to a baby Ellen? I'm not very pop-culture savvy so I have no idea...
    Ellen...
    I think Ellen is a lovely fresh name, elegant and effortless. Ellie does feel like the natural nickname but then if you infiltrate the nickname Elle people would refer to Ellen as Elle. She works stunningly well with Hermione the whole choice feels so chic and lovely. I don't know Ellen DeGeneres but I assume this association will not be strong and just be a namesake like if you name your son Brad people may think Brad Pitt.
    I really don't think Ellen screams old women she's a classic it's like saying Elizabeth screams old women.

Suggestions:
    Jane Herimone
    Emily Herimone
    Laura Hermione
    Bridget Hermione
    Kate Hermione
    Edith Hermione
    Eliza Hermione
    Grace Hermione
    Rose Hermione
    Juliet Hermione
    Clara Hermione
    Frances Hermione

Ellen Hermione is lovely! I personally don't find Ellen dated. It's not as common nowadays, but it's a classic name and simple enough that it doesn't go out of style. Elle is a great nickname.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

I worked with a woman named Ellen at one point. She wasn't very nice so that is the image i get for that name. Say I didn't meet an Ellen who was totally rude I don't feel its outdated, it definitely has an older vibe to it. Like a mature vibe. A lot of names being used lately seem to be spunky and playful. So to hear someone wanting to use a more mature name is refreshing as well. And if you like it then you should use it.

But that being said Helen, Elena, Rosemary, Estelle, are all coming back so why not Ellen? I don't think people would call her that and you can always just introduce her as Ellen so people got the hint and when she is older she can choose. Would you mind the nick name El?

Ellen Hermione is super sweet and darling! I like the combo together. And honestly when I heard Ellen I did not even think of Ellen DeGeneres. If you want other options that go well with Hermione some are:

Maude Hermione
    Mabel Hermione
    Iris Hermione
    Olive Hermione
    Estelle Hermione
    Blanche Hermione
    Nell Hermione
    Elle Hermione
    Elaine Hermione
    Helen Hermione - double H may be too much.
    Ilene Hermione

I honestly like the choice you chose.
    TTC Baby #1 Starts Next Month!

I do think Ellen is more common on older women but I don't think it's dated. It feels fresh on a baby.

Personally, I think of Ellen Pompeo (Dr. Meredith Grey) before Ellen DeGeneres. I don't think everyone will immediately think of DeGeneres because even though she has her own successful talk show, she's not as popular as, say, Oprah.

I think an Ellen might get Elle before Ellie but Ellen is a short enough name that people won't automatically try to nickname it.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey