Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Best middle name combo?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sylvia Christabel

6 27.27%
  • Sylvia Tyne or Tine (pronounced with a long I)

2 9.09%
  • Sylvia Christine

12 54.55%
  • Sylvie Cairistiona (pron. care-is-chee-na)

2 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Middle Name for Sylvia/Sylvie

We are dead set on Sylvia (nn Sylvie but Sylvia flows better with our last name). We have no firm favorites for middles at this point.

We want a name that flows well but isn't overly flowery/feminine if that makes sense. Ramona Mae, our first is the perfect combo of spunk and charm and goes great with our 2-syllable LN. Something with a little punch.

I would love to honor my mom. Her name is Tina Lee (she hates her middle name-especially because it has the "boy" spelling). So ideally we can find a variant of Christina that will work. Let us know if you have any other thoughts, I have posted the current contenders.
    Last edited by rosebyanyothername; September 19th, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
    Mama to little Ramona Mae 3/2011 and Sylvie Joy born 11/2013

How about Sylvia Christiane ?

Or maybe Sylvia Christine?

Those are the only variants of "Christina" I can think of. Unless Kristen/Kirsten count.

I voted for Christabel.

I don't think you're pronouncing Cairistiona right... From what I know of Scots Gaelic it would be more like: kah-ris-TEE-(uh)-na. (kah like cat and never like care)

Catriona is pronounced 'kah-TREE-(uh)-na' and they share an 'iona' ending.

The 'uh' is in brackets because it's such a small, quick noise you can barely hear it.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...-pronunciation

I got the pronunciation in my poll from a scottish ex-pat here in the us. But the thread I linked to has a few more bits of input. I am not super concerned about pronunciation in the middle mostly wanted to note that it isn't "tee-OH-na" at the end. And from what I have read the Gaelic pronunciation is a "ch" sound rather than a "t" sound. Oh and Mrs. Anton thanks for the suggestions! Sylvia Christine is an option in the poll
    Mama to little Ramona Mae 3/2011 and Sylvie Joy born 11/2013

I like Sylvia Christine. Christabel and Cairistriona seem extremely flowy and ultra feminine to me, but Sylvia Christine is almost too lacy and historical, and not enough spunk? It's not as spunky as Ramona Mae, anyhow. So in that case, possibly Sylvia Tyne would be the best. I like both of them very much. Tyne is spunkier; I like Christine for the lacy, timeless feel of it with Sylvia!

Good luck!