Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Talulla

Talulla

I "discovered" this name the other day. (It may or may not have been while forcing my husband to go through a list of Scottish/Irish baby names. )

I'm really not sure what I think of it, so I guess I'm asking for opinions. One day I'll think it's cute and hipster-ish (just like my husband!), the next day I'll think it's kind of strange and can't picture it on a future daughter. I think my biggest issue with the name is that it just doesn't feel Irish to me.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the Irish Talulla, derived from the Gaelic name Tuilelaith, and NOT the Native American Tallulah, meaning either "leaping waters" or "town." (I actually think I might prefer the Tallulah spelling, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of choosing a Scottish/Irish name!)

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

Expecting #1 in June!

Boy: Quentin Charles or Reid ??
    Girl: Catherine Violet or ??
    Beta fish: Blodwyn

I do like the sound of Talulla/Tallulah, although I share with you reservations that it's maybe too much. I think to the extent people are going to know the name, they're going to know the spelling Tallulah. I get that it has different origins, but Talulla is already an Anglicization and the distinction is going to be lost on most people - I've heard the Native American origin and meaning for Tallulah are regarded as sort of dubious anyway.

Anyway, go with Talulla if you love it more than anything. Are you OK with Anglicizations? If you wouldn't consider Keeva for Caoimhe or you wouldn't consider Shavonne for Siobhan, you might want to think about this one. If you don't mind them (I certainly don't), then OK.

It sounds like you're on the fence maybe and it's too bold a name to be on the fence about. I do think it could make a really charming middle!

I adore this name! I don't think it's bold at all. It's beautiful and versatile either spelling. I'd use it in a second but its a family dogs name.
    Proud mama to L. and S.E.R.

*Magnolia Alice/ Evangeline Snow/ Adelaide Clover/Annabelle Violet/
    Wesley Rohan/ Hugo Phelan/August Grey/Thatcher Fox/ Ignatius Grey/Caius Grey*

@jesba: You make a very good point about Talulla being an Anglicization anyway. I guess I could always spell it Tallulah, and when people asked just explain the Irish background. As far as how I feel about Anglicizations, I basically just go by which I find more appealing. In this case I definitely prefer Talulla/Tallulah to Tuileflaith haha. I do think now that I've thought about it more I would only use it as a middle, but I could see myself happily using it in that slot (with the Tallulah spelling). Thanks!

@goodkarmavt: I do think it's a pretty name.

Expecting #1 in June!

Boy: Quentin Charles or Reid ??
    Girl: Catherine Violet or ??
    Beta fish: Blodwyn

Are Talulla and Tallulah pronounced the same? Because looking at Talulla, I'd pronounce it more like Tal-ULL-uh rather than Tal-OOH-luh because of the placement of the single and double Ls. If it's meant to be said the same, you're probably likely to get people spelling it as Tallulah on guess purely because it's the more common spelling.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George