Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Not a mom yet but thought this was interesting!

I found this article about simple ways to handle a temper tantrum. Just thought I would share to see what you ladies or even gents thought!

http://celebritybabies.people.com/20...m/#more-192668
    TTC Baby #1!

Very interesting. : )

Hopefully, I won't have to use this too much when Baby arrives. ; )
    --Carla
    Mommy to Eva Lily Catherine, b. 1/31/2014

Our son is two months away from turning two. He definitely has his share of tantrums! Toddlers can be very unreasonable, you know? It is all well and good to say pick your battles, but sometimes the kid is pitching a fit b.c you won't let him drive the car. Or b.c you won't let him put your bra on the dog. What I have found works best is to say, "I'm sorry you're upset! It is really hard to not be able to do X. Would you like a hug?" Sometimes that will work, b.c he is just trying to tell me how unjust he finds this particular situation and he basically always wants a hug.

When it doesn't work, I say, "If you need to be upset about that, that is okay, but you still can't do X. You just keep screaming, I am going to go read this book." Then I go get one of his books and sit down somewhere a little away from him and start reading it. He usually will decide that potentially missing the part with the steamroller is not worth it and he will come over and sit with me. If we are in public, I will take him out and do basically the same thing.

Completely ignoring it hasn't worked for us- he really does want us to know that he is angry. It's just like when you are mad about something, you want someone to acknowledge that you are upset. Completely ignoring it just makes it last longer, b.c then he is mad about that, too. I do agree with the article that paying too much attention to it just feeds it, though. Like I have seen moms trying desperately to placate screaming toddlers, offering them ANYTHING to just stop. Why would they stop then? Who knows what awesome thing mom is going to try next? I have one friend who hands over her iPhone whenever her daughter starts screaming. Guess what? Now she screams ALL THE TIME.

@taryn oh my god, that is ridiculous! I feel like that has become the "quiet" method now. Just handing your child a piece of technology. I see children out to dinner with their parents where at that age I was coloring or engaging with my parents now they are on all forms of technology. Or the parents are on their phones not paying attention to their children.

But it is every mothers or fathers choice to choose what to do and how to handle each situation. I can't judge since I am not a mother yet and who knows how I will be!
    Last edited by scarletsway; September 28th, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
    TTC Baby #1!

@scarletsway

So true! And yes, we never know what random strangers are facing. Or if the family in the restaurant is just exhausted, or the child on the iphone has some special need. Anyone with a screaming toddler has my sympathy and sometimes you just have to do whatever works! But taken generally, there does seem to be a tendency nowadays to placate children with electronic devices, and that does seem worrisome to me.