Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Baby Name Wars!

I think telling somebody they can't use a name because it's always been a favourite of yours isn't fair. If your sister and friend both like Mary, for example, and your sister is having a girl and your friend is having a boy, then sister is totally fine using Mary, even if friend said it was one of her favourites. This is why close friends/family shouldn't discuss names!

By the way, neither of them should use Olivia! It's really boring and overused. And after this fight, they'll discover they each have five friends with baby girls named Olivia anyway.
    TTC #1

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Quote Originally Posted by sarahmezz View Post
    By the way, neither of them should use Olivia! It's really boring and overused. And after this fight, they'll discover they each have five friends with baby girls named Olivia anyway.
    If I could, I'd "like" this comment

I love Olivia, but only because it honors my mom, so I'd put it in the middle spot. My uncle is planning on using it for his next baby, and all I could think was, "Yet ANOTHER Olivia...."

Anyway, I give props to Friend for using the name (however popular/overused it is). You can't keep a name on hold like a pair of shoes. Especially a name that's featured on a multitude of girls.
    Last edited by sari; September 20th, 2013 at 02:54 AM.
    Sari, high school senior.

The enchanting little witches & wizards: Under Construction and Pending.

Thank you for all the comments! I'm happy that the general consensus is that it's ridiculous for Sis to hold the name hostage. Especially since it's an extremely popular name.

My friend initially really wanted something that wasn't so popular. Her oldest daughter's name is Sophia. She's 7, so she was named a bit before the Sophia craze actually hit and it definitely aggravates Friend that it is so popular now. Her two year old's name is Ava. While pregnant with her, Friend's mom suggested the name and Friend immediately fell in love with it. Then she looked it up and discovered how popular it was. She searched and searched for something she liked just as much, but ended up using Ava in the end regardless of popularity because she loved it so much and it felt right. This time she again searched and searched for something that felt right, but wasn't so popular. Again nothing felt right until Sis told Friend that she could use Olivia.

She loves names that end in A and are romantic, classic, elegant, and gorgeous. Olivia fits that bill and goes very well with Sophia and Ava.
    ~Cathryn Elizabeth~

Stay at home mommy to Benton Grover and Arwen Elizabeth.
    My fur babies are Walter and Marcheline aka Mooch.
    Current favorites: Imogen Temperance, Gwendolyn Lucille, Jessamyn Hazel, Charleston Hawk, Harrison Ambrose, Thompson Conrad

Yeah, Sophia, Ava, and Olivia go very well.

classic, romantic and elegant that end in a and go well with Sophia and Ava...
    Olivia alternatives could include: Viola, Clara, H/Elena, Lydia, Corinna and Nora
    ...if my husbands has no vote, then....
    Endora & Lorelei / Dexter & Gideon
    ...we are newlyweds and not trying...yet...