Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Name Wars!

There isn't much to add here that hasn't been said - tell your friend to use the name she loves, sounds like her sister is just playing mind games with her. Soon they'll both be too busy with their little bundles of joy to care about such a petty thing. What are the future fathers saying about all this? I hope they are telling the sister how silly and petty she is acting.

Thank you for the suggestions, ottilie! And I completely agree with you. Olivia is a top 5 name! No one owns it. They even live in different states and see each other maybe once or twice a year. My friend has said she'd be fine with her sister still naming a future daughter Olivia and them both having Olivias. One could go by Olive and the other Livvy when the family gets together if that would make things easier.

I really have no idea what the sister's husband thinks of it all. My friend's husband is not a fan of the sister in the first place, so he's not a happy camper at all.

After much deliberation and thought, my friend has decided to use the name she loves. If her sister has conniption about it, that's on her, not my friend.
    ~Cathryn Elizabeth~

Stay at home mommy to Benton Grover and Arwen Elizabeth.

Favorite Boys: Harrison Bauer, Conrad Elias, Ransom Caius
    Favorite Girls: Imogen Temperance, Azalea Temperance, Calanthe Emmeline

This is just me, but I would never use a name if my brother and his wife were set on it. I just wouldn't feel right about it. There are sooooooo many names out there. Just move on.

I can see it from both sides. I have names that LOVE, but anytime a friend is pregnant and is name searching I always offer up my loves. On the other hand, if I had a friend who was so in love with one particular name, I would definitely steer away from it. The problem here is that my friend did just that. She steered clear of Olivia and searched and searched and searched for that *perfect* name, but nothing ever felt right. I can't even begin to tell you how many lists of names I went over with her. Then she's telling her sister about her baby naming woes one day and Sis says, "You can use Olivia if you want." The sister wasn't even going to use Olivia if she had had a girl! She was going to use Penelope. But anyway, that's all beside the point now. My friend is using the name she loves regardless and I applaud her for that.
    ~Cathryn Elizabeth~

Stay at home mommy to Benton Grover and Arwen Elizabeth.

Favorite Boys: Harrison Bauer, Conrad Elias, Ransom Caius
    Favorite Girls: Imogen Temperance, Azalea Temperance, Calanthe Emmeline

If I was her, I would just use the name I effing wanted. What gives her sister the right to dictate who can use what name? What if some huge celebrity decided to use that name? Would she get angry over that too?