Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Name Wars!

Baby Name Wars!

I have a friend who is expecting a baby girl and her sister is expecting a baby boy. Before my friend knew the gender she really loved a certain name, but Sis said Friend couldn't use it because Sis was going to. Now that Friend is definitely having a girl, Sis doesn't like that name anymore and is going to name her baby boy something else.
    Friend has had a really hard time finding the *perfect* name for her baby girl. She had told me a couple of times that she really liked a certain name, but couldn't use it because it had been a long time love of Sis'. Then one day she sent me a very excited message saying that Sis had given her blessing for Friend to use that name and Friend and her DH were thrilled. They felt that they FINALLY had the *perfect* name. Sis called Friend back the next morning and told her that she had changed her mind. What if she had a baby girl someday and wanted to use that name? She also said that if Friend uses the name, things will never be the same between she and Sis. Friend is crushed.

What would you do in Friend's situation?
    ~Cathryn Elizabeth~

Stay at home mommy to Benton Grover and Arwen Elizabeth.
    My fur babies are Walter and Marcheline aka Mooch.
    Current favorites: Imogen Vesper, Gwendolyn Ferelith, Charleston Wilder

No one owns a name. If my sister really loves a name I wouldn't use it because I love my sister more than any name I've ever loved. And I know that if I was expecting a girl and my sister wasn't she'd let me use it because she loves me more than any names as well. It doesn't really sound like your friend and her sister love each other that much, otherwise a name wouldn't be such a big deal.

If you tell us the name we might be able to come up with some suggestions.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I think she should ignore her sister and use whatever name she wants for her child. It is HER child, and the naming of said child is the responsibility of her and her partner, NOT her sister. And if her sister doesn't like that, then I'm sure she'll get over it once she meets your friend's beautiful little girl. Good luck x
    Sophie | 22 | England, UK
    science geek, crime-fiction buff, name nerd

Feeling very indecisive right now; my name lists need an overhaul!

New stuff coming soon!

See that's just it, ottilie. Friend loves her sister so so much, but her sister treats her pretty badly and Friend is the type of person that doesn't really see it that way. She feels guilty for wanting to use the name she loves so much now and is scared to ruin her relationship with her sister even though they don't have a great one to begin with.

The name is Olivia. I've already suggested Amelia, Emilia, Livana, Liviana, and Livia. DH doesn't like Amelia or Emilia and Friend says Livana, Liviana, and Livia are pretty, but not *it*. I've noticed that she's not fond of names that end in -ana.
    ~Cathryn Elizabeth~

Stay at home mommy to Benton Grover and Arwen Elizabeth.
    My fur babies are Walter and Marcheline aka Mooch.
    Current favorites: Imogen Vesper, Gwendolyn Ferelith, Charleston Wilder

Well, her sister doesn't sound like someone I'd want around, but if this might ruin their relationship it's really up to your friend. If my sister treated me that way I'd stand up to here. No one owns Olivia, it's not like it's Aethelwyne or something rare and different we're talking about here.

Suggestions:
    Alice
    Alviva
    Camilla
    Cecilia
    Celia
    Helena
    Imedia
    Julia
    Julian
    Junia
    Lavinia
    Liveva
    Maria
    Marilla
    Marina
    Miranda
    Octavia
    Orabel
    Orinda
    Philippa
    Rosalie
    Sally
    Selina
    Silvia/Sylvia
    Stella
    Velvela
    Viola
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]