Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I work as a middle school teacher in the United States (Maryland) and yes, names have absolutely been ruined for me. With my first, we loved the name Luke. Now I have met too many of them, and definitely some bad ones in the mix, that the name is forever ruined for me. I also find myself liking very unique names, names I have never actually seen a child wear. I think this is a side effect of having seen so many names overused and played out.
    Proud Mommy to Maeby Alana (8/6/10) and Saela Eliza (6/24/14)

Marlow Simone - Romy Corinne
    Zefram Eli - Miles Thatcher

I do not have children yet, but as a teacher I can definitely attest to the fact that a difficult student with a name that I love does end up having a negative connotation and I would most l likely associate the name with the student, and therefore, would not use it for a child. An example of a name that my husband and I both love is Josiah, however, after dealing with a student named that I will not use it for future children.

As a teacher a difficult student doesn't "ruin" a name. I would easily say there are many adults and other peers who have 'ruined' names far more for me than a child. At the age I'm dealing with they're too young for their behavioral 'problems' to be malicious in any way, and it's not fair (or indicative of a good teacher) for me to hold something against a child for something completely out of their control, which is why their names don't become 'ruined' for me. As I said there are far more people who have been much more aware of their actions to ruin names for me.

I also don't believe in such a thing as a naughty kid. And I haven't had my own children so I haven't had naming become an issue for me. I don't imagine it would. As I mentioned, the way children act don't create name associations for me, the way adults act do. The way children act is a direct representation of the needs that are not being fulfilled, and behavior is often the only way they know how to communicate. It's not a kids fault if people don't know how to listen.

Has a naughty or disruptive child (with your favourite name) ruined the name for you?
    -Not any my favorite names. If I love a name, I can see past whatever image the child put in my head of it. There have been names that I was pretty neutral on, eg Joseph, that have been so called "ruined" for me, but they never would have been names that I would have used anyways.

Have you had a naughty kid with a beautiful name and still used the name anyway?
    Yes. My child's name is common enough that my associations with the name are very broad, though. If it was a unique name, like my son's middle name Ashby, I may have been more reluctant to use it.

Has naming your child been influenced by your students?
    No, but it very well could. I would be sure never to name my child the same name of a child I have in my class that year, because I wouldn't want to be accused of favoritism. Never happened upon that issue, though.
    Nicholas Arthur Ashby (01.12.10)
    Theodore Stellan Rain (TBE 12.09.13)

Unfortunately, teaching has ruined names for me. Never ever will I use Caitlin and all it's variations. It's not so much the child I associate it with, but teaching in general. I'd feel like I brought work home.
    Zoe Milena
    9/12/14