Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Mummy bears being difficult

I talk about names to my mother bear often (and yes I actually call her that). She seems to not like my favourite girls names Isobel is too old for her mainly because its her mums name, Alice is an old lady name and Eulalia and Wilhelmina are ridiculous. The thing with Alice is its 49 in my state with 34 born so its not a rare name for babies and my mum has a friend named Alice in her early forties like my mum. I guess I shouldn't really care since I'm 14 and a long way of children but its slowly ruining the name for me. I haven't mentioned Illyria, Genevieve and Ottilie to her yet but I can see her hating it.

She was the one who also made me hate Harriet when I was 8 I loved the name but she said it was an old lady name how I see it to this day. On the plus side I think i ruined Madison for her by saying its a boys name.

Is anyone else's mum like this? What names have they managed to ruin?
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Ruby★Charlotte☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Deacon☆Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆
    babynameobsessed.worpress.com

STORY OF MY LIFE!

I brought up names to my mother ONCE, and never did it again. (PS, I LOVE Illyria, Genevieve and Ottilie) Her comments on my names;

Augusta - 'er....ok then'
    Amelia - 'that's cute'
    Millicent - '.................'
    Rosamond - 'meh'
    Eleanor - 'old lady name' (currently in the top 200 here and the top 100 in England)
    Isabella - 'boring'
    Eugenia - 'what the....'
    Charlotte - 'cute, your sister was going to be Charlotte, Charlie as her nickname.' (I want Lola or Lottie)
    Olympia - 'no...'
    Sophia - 'cute'
    Sylvia - 'not bad'
    Alexandra - 'very royal, don't call her Allie, Lexie or Alex though' (and that leaves...what for a nickname?)
    Matilda - 'cute'
    Cordelia - 'no'
    Isabel(le) 'cute'
    Helena - 'erm....Hell's the first syllable'
    Clementine - 'no grandchild of mine is being named after a citrus fruit, not unless I can call her Citrus for short'
    Ophelia - 'didn't she kill herself?'
    Agatha - 'HAGatha'
    Cecilia - '.......isn't there a bad guy in a movie named that?'
    Martha - 'like the hippo?! PLEASE name her brother George!" (there's a kids' book called George and Martha...they're hippos)
    Georgina - 'not bad'
    Iris - 'no'
    Florence - 'ew'
    Olive - 'again with food?'
    Ottilie - 'maybe'
    Aurelia - 'ORAL lia?'
    Margaret - 'that's a family name....not only your great grandmother's, but I also had a cousin named that....she killed herself because she went psycho at some point....'

As you can see, my mother is....erm, brutally honest? LOL I think it's a Mum thing.
    "While some of the brightest of our celestial bodies are actually extinct now, their energy long since cooled; miraculously, because they float in the heavens so far away from us now, their beautiful light will continue to shine on us forever, and the glow will be so bright, it'll warm your heart, it'll make your eyes glisten, and it'll make you think to yourselves; what a concept"

My Mother.... Mom wants me to like only traditional, particularly Greek names (which I do but...)
    Delilah- apparently not a name for a white child (racist much?)
    Eleanor(a) (she didn't give me time to add the a before talking)- that's sooooo old
    Benjamin- Jewish name (hello, its one of the top twenty boys names)
    Andrew & Jason (which are Greek)- too common (which I guess is true but still...)
    Charles- too old (she's warming up to it with the nn Charlie now)
    Ambrose- way old (which I'd only use for a middle name)
    Forget it, every time I talk about names all she says is, "I like Jude for a boy." and "You should name your son after your father." My dad's name is James. How many kids are named James now? How many kids in his family are named James? Excuse me for wanting to be creative.
    My mother has definitely made me reconsider my list, as you can see from my signature (Jude wormed its way in, James too, but I still prefer it for a middle name). She likes most of my girls names though. I try not to share with her because she might think my obsession is getting out of hand.
    Yet my brothers say they like Orla and don't get commented, and the other says just Sam and Alex as full names, totally acceptable.
    Just another teenberry and writer, a lover of names
    Current Favorites:
    | Zoe | Selene | Thalia | Jane | Persephone | Ariadne | Lilia | Nicoletta | Nina | Natalia |

| Dimitri | Augustus | Paul | Jude | Basil | Tobias | Nico | Abram | Samuel | James |
    Pondering:
    | Artemis | Cassandra | Delia | Helena | Lena | Margo | Thaddeus |

GP:
    | Thisbe | Cassiopeia | Briseis | Mercy | Lachlan | Emerson | Callum | Owen |

Have a fabulous day!

@lawsonhaley I remember the show George and Martha they were pretty fab hippos your mum sounds like mine.
    @hardertobreathe its just a topic that comes up in my family, my parents are one of the main followers of my name blog
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Ruby★Charlotte☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Deacon☆Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆
    babynameobsessed.worpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ebenezer.scrouge View Post
    @lawsonhaley I remember the show George and Martha they were pretty fab hippos your mum sounds like mine.
    @hardertobreathe its just a topic that comes up in my family, my parents are one of the main followers of my name blog
    Oh I loved the show...just not sure I'd use both names together for siblings I'm not a George fan though. I love Georgina, Georgiana and Georgia, but I have a strong dislike towards George. Martha (with Maisie as a nickname) is a favourite of mine though ;-)

@hardertobreathe I'm lucky that my mum doesn't mind my taste in boys names. My main ones are Adam, Andrew, Joel, Henry, Ashton, Landon, Hayden, Mason, Elliott, Patrick, Edward, Matthew, Marcus, Joshua and Michael. She only had an issue with Patrick, and that, I can owe entirely to SpongeBob. (As much as I loved it growing up, it's caused my parents to say that 'no grandchild of theirs' will be called Patrick or Pearl). My boys taste is polar opposite of my girls' taste for the most part, but, I work in a kindergarten class room, so I'm easily influenced by the students. Like, there's an Amy in my class who's not very well behaved, so I've gone off that, but, there's a Nevaeh who's absolutely adorable, and she's caused me to warm up to the name. (I would still never use it for a child, not unless the spelling was Nevaya or Navaya or something more attractive than Heaven backwards).
    "While some of the brightest of our celestial bodies are actually extinct now, their energy long since cooled; miraculously, because they float in the heavens so far away from us now, their beautiful light will continue to shine on us forever, and the glow will be so bright, it'll warm your heart, it'll make your eyes glisten, and it'll make you think to yourselves; what a concept"