Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Suffering complete name block!

I can't find any names that I love! Plenty I 'like',but after a day or two I find something wrong with it or just go off it.

I like classic and vintage names that are a bit obscure. I tend to go for shorter names, two or three syllables (both our boys have two syllable names).

Names that have made the short list and then been scratched off again are (So, not in the running - but just to give an idea of our general name taste):

Rose - I think Rose is lovely! But at the same time I find it boring and bland.
    Rosalie - Dislike the nn Rosie and can't make any nice sounding combo's. And I'm not a fan of other Rose- and Rosa- names.
    Clara - Reminds me of a girl who's quite nasty. Her daughters name is Clara.
    Esme - I like Esme, but not for my child, if that makes sense.
    Miriam - I love Miriam, but OH doesn't think it sounds pleasant. Plus it start with M - so does our surname, and I have always had a dislike of alliterations in names.
    Edith - OH doesn't find this name pleasant sounding either.
    Sybil - Same as above.
    Nellie - Same as above.
    Isolde - With a son named Tristan it just feels a bit clichéd.
    Nora - Love Nora! But its much to close to our youngest name. Not a fan of Cora though so that's not a usable substitute.
    Alice - Due to a family issue surrounding this name it has been rendered unusable.

NO Jen-, Lil-, Em- and El- names. Preferably names NOT beginning with M due to our surname. So are names like Jean, Jane and Georgia. (the list is long, but don't want to list my entire family here)

Another problem is that it has to work on both my native language (I'm Scandinavian) and in English. We also have a fairly large family (14 nieces and nephews between us for one) so that means a lot of names are taken and the only one we would honour has a name that doesn't work in any way or form for a girl (there's no feminine form for it either).

At the moment the front runner is Flora. But I do have some concerns - The margarine or biology reference doesn't bother me. But people keep telling me things like "Let's hope she's not going to be a right chunker with that name then" or "Wow, you'd have to be an absolute stunner to pull that name off".

Any thoughts on the name Flora or name suggestions? Both much appreciated!
    Last edited by tiggerian; September 18th, 2013 at 06:32 PM.

Heidi Amelia| Joel Dashiel| Lydia Briar| Elijah Peter| Lucy Colette| Carson Dale| Melissa Jasmine| Thomas Flynn| Zoe Belle| Jamie Christopher| Lilo Claire.

Hmm - I don't know where Miriam went :P My partner simple doesn't like the sound of it - that's what's wrong with it :P

misschelseabeth - Alma is the only one of those that I like, but OH vetoed it immediately. Well I like Matilda, but its my cousins name and an M-name which we are trying to avoid due to our surname also starting with M. I'm not a fan of first and surname starting with same letter.

Perrine is a pretty, underused French name meaning 'traveler'.