Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Noah - I like it.
    Theo - I'm not a big fan of it, but it's decent enough.
    Clancy - I don't like the sound of it...
    Finlay - It's alright. I like Finn.
    Eric - My favorite on your list.
    John - A little plain, but it's alright.

In order of preference, it would probably go Eric, Noah, Theo, John, Finlay, and Clancy.

Noah is indeed very popular in Australia, it's hovering around #5 but has been up to #2 in previous years. I like the name, it just depends if popularity matters to you.

My favourites would probably be Theo, Eric and John. They do all have a slightly different feel... Theo is more trendy (Theodore is more vintage), you don't hear Eric much here in Aus but it seems quite preppy to me, and John is a steady man's name. John definitely features heavily in my family tree.

Clancy and Finlay sound like very "country" names to me, which isn't a bad thing, but I'm a city girl so wouldn't use them
    Expecting #1 April 2014!
    Willa Primrose ~ Aria Violet ~ Iris Adeline ~ Celeste Evelyn ~ Juniper Mae
    Parker Henry ~ Linus Jasper ~ August Peter ~ Atticus Felix ~ Frederick Arlo

Noah- Very cute name, but I don't think it has the same style as Matilda at all. (If you have a girl later on)
    Theo- Love this as a nickname, but Theodore is better, and its only got 3 syllables anyway. Plus flows better with an O last name.
    Clancy- Interesting, vintage choice. Many times a Clarence goes by Clancy, but its cool on its own. I could picture Clancy & Matilda siblings easily.
    Finlay- I love Fin names, but this seems more trendy than Matilda. Finnegan, Phineas make more sense.
    Eric- This is okay. Doesn't stand out much, and will probably be in a sea of Eric's.
    John- There are way too many John's in the world, definitely would be lost in a sea of John's... I would prefer this as a middle, if at all.
    Lucas- I see this name a lot, and its becoming as popular as Jack or Jackson. Its not my fave but it works as a middle.

I think my favorites would have to be Theodore or Clancy, though if I could make suggestions I think you might like:

Maxwell
    Samuel
    Solomon
    Magnus
    Thaddeus
    Thomas
    Sebastian
    August
    Aaron
    Abel
    Jonah
    Joel
    Benjamin
    Henry
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen

[QUOTE=milenaviolet;2068731]Hello all

On Monday we found out we are expecting a baby boy. We had picked out the name Matilda if baby was to be a girl. We are going to save that name for later on.

Now we are back to the drawing board for boy names. My husband and I don't like names that are too frilly. 1-2 syllables max 3 syllables are best.

Here are the names I have on my list so far:

Noah This name is popular here in Oz but it has nice soft sound and will appeal to many. I for one do not like any names that begin in No. I would prefer to see the lovable Nathaniel nn Nate
    Theo I like this a lot as a stand alone name not as a nn.
    Clancy The famous Clancy of the Overflow, it is unusual and very Aussie so I think it could work very well
    Finlay Prefer the Finley spelling but this name is too trendy and a little passe, perhaps Flynn would be a better fit?
    Eric No charisma here I would go with Ethan or Ezra
    John John is a great name that is not very fashionable at the moment which is in its favour. I love the name Jonathan just a bit more

If your name is Oliver then I am afraid Theo Oliver doesn't work but if you like the name Ted then I think Edmund Oliver would be very cool.
    Psalm 23

I think the main confusion I would have in picking one of these names as a companion's name for a future Matilda is that the uniqueness levels are totally different. Like, a Matilda and John seems to be actually a bit distracting vs. a Matilda and Theodore (which I would greatly suggest as opposed to Theo, because you can still call him Theo, it has more substance and it sounds like it might work better with your last name). If you were definitely not going to consider elongating it, I would probably say that my favorite names out of the ones listed is Eric, but even then I wouldn't be so crazy about it paired with "Matilda." One child having so much of a different-popularity/uniqueness seems to be a bit of an issue with siblings I have met/heard of, as one of them doesn't understand why their name isn't as "special" as the others', and the other one wonders why they got saddled with such a mouthful name when the name of their sibling invites fewer problems.

Like when my future BIL had a daughter named Athena: I asked what he would name his future son, if he had one, and he said either Johnathan or Constantine. This went way over my head because (regardless of how one feels about the name Constantine) Johnathan clearly didn't "go" with Athena as much - and I put very little stock into the required "matchy-ness" of sibling names to begin with.

Sorry about the tangent, I probably came off as a bit rant-y here, I have been sleep deprived.