Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Audrey vs. Aubrey

We decided on Audrey Elizabeth as our girl name for this #3 baby (not yet conceived).

Every time dh says the name though, he says, "Aubrey" and I have to correct him. I'm not sure if he prefers Aubrey or just doesn't realize there's a difference, or...?

I feel that Aubrey is more trendy and less of a classic than Audrey, though, I do love that Aubrey can be shortened to Bree - which was actually very high on our list of girl names when brainstorming for child #2. Audrey doesn't have any obvious nn. Our other kids don't have built in nick names, though we call Isla "I" and Grant "Granters" a lot. I can see us calling Aubrey "Bree" or even "Aub/Aubs", but you can't really call Audrey "Odd" or "Dree".

One other little glitch with Audrey is that it's the name of an aunt, who I loved, but actually ended up divorced to my uncle and I haven't heard from her in years. When I mentioned the name to my mom she was not terribly impressed that we used the ex-aunt as a name sake. I don't think it would be a deal breaker entirely, but just want to make sure we're making the right call

Thoughts?

Well Audrey & Aubrey are very similar to me. Their differences that you point out : Audrey is more of a classic, it has the namesake of Audrey Hepburn and you can call her Rey / Raey, Ari,Addie etc. Aubrey is a cute name also although this seems more trendy & modern than Audrey. I also like the nn Aubs & Bree.
    Audrey Elizabeth is a gorgeous classic combo. But I think that if your husbandmistake it for Aubrey and you like the nn Bree simply choose that. I think with either way you can honor your aunt.

Good luck :-)
    "I felt that I breathed an atmosphere of sorrow"

Rosa Nightingale Thomasin Orchid Edith Remember Zuleika Evening Belladonna Selene Orphéa Requiem Lilith Anastasia Nocturne Ophelia Séraphine Wildrose Juniper Echo Persephone Forest Suzanne Psyche Belphoebe Sonnet
    &
    Orpheus Elgar Thorin Prometheus Gideon Achilles Amadeus Vale Lucien Florence Casimir Leo Dante Alexander Wolf Brahm Vesper Viktor Peregrin Algernon Poe Alexander Corvus Dorian Casper Damian Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by bellerose View Post
    Well Audrey & Aubrey are very similar to me. Their differences that you point out : Audrey is more of a classic, it has the namesake of Audrey Hepburn and you can call her Rey / Raey, Ari,Addie etc. Aubrey is a cute name also although this seems more trendy & modern than Audrey. I also like the nn Aubs & Bree.
    Audrey Elizabeth is a gorgeous classic combo. But I think that if your husbandmistake it for Aubrey and you like the nn Bree simply choose that. I think with either way you can honor your aunt.

Good luck :-)
    I don't actually *want* to honor that ex-aunt (she was my favorite when I was little, but it's really nor about her, just about my like for the name)

thanks for the input!

Sorry about that. I misunderstood it.
    "I felt that I breathed an atmosphere of sorrow"

Rosa Nightingale Thomasin Orchid Edith Remember Zuleika Evening Belladonna Selene Orphéa Requiem Lilith Anastasia Nocturne Ophelia Séraphine Wildrose Juniper Echo Persephone Forest Suzanne Psyche Belphoebe Sonnet
    &
    Orpheus Elgar Thorin Prometheus Gideon Achilles Amadeus Vale Lucien Florence Casimir Leo Dante Alexander Wolf Brahm Vesper Viktor Peregrin Algernon Poe Alexander Corvus Dorian Casper Damian Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by bellerose View Post
    Sorry about that. I misunderstood it.
    no problem, just wanted to clarify