Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Audrey vs. Aubrey

We decided on Audrey Elizabeth as our girl name for this #3 baby (not yet conceived).

Every time dh says the name though, he says, "Aubrey" and I have to correct him. I'm not sure if he prefers Aubrey or just doesn't realize there's a difference, or...?

I feel that Aubrey is more trendy and less of a classic than Audrey, though, I do love that Aubrey can be shortened to Bree - which was actually very high on our list of girl names when brainstorming for child #2. Audrey doesn't have any obvious nn. Our other kids don't have built in nick names, though we call Isla "I" and Grant "Granters" a lot. I can see us calling Aubrey "Bree" or even "Aub/Aubs", but you can't really call Audrey "Odd" or "Dree".

One other little glitch with Audrey is that it's the name of an aunt, who I loved, but actually ended up divorced to my uncle and I haven't heard from her in years. When I mentioned the name to my mom she was not terribly impressed that we used the ex-aunt as a name sake. I don't think it would be a deal breaker entirely, but just want to make sure we're making the right call

Thoughts?

Well Audrey & Aubrey are very similar to me. Their differences that you point out : Audrey is more of a classic, it has the namesake of Audrey Hepburn and you can call her Rey / Raey, Ari,Addie etc. Aubrey is a cute name also although this seems more trendy & modern than Audrey. I also like the nn Aubs & Bree.
    Audrey Elizabeth is a gorgeous classic combo. But I think that if your husbandmistake it for Aubrey and you like the nn Bree simply choose that. I think with either way you can honor your aunt.

Good luck :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bellerose View Post
    Well Audrey & Aubrey are very similar to me. Their differences that you point out : Audrey is more of a classic, it has the namesake of Audrey Hepburn and you can call her Rey / Raey, Ari,Addie etc. Aubrey is a cute name also although this seems more trendy & modern than Audrey. I also like the nn Aubs & Bree.
    Audrey Elizabeth is a gorgeous classic combo. But I think that if your husbandmistake it for Aubrey and you like the nn Bree simply choose that. I think with either way you can honor your aunt.

Good luck :-)
    I don't actually *want* to honor that ex-aunt (she was my favorite when I was little, but it's really nor about her, just about my like for the name)

thanks for the input!

Sorry about that. I misunderstood it.

Quote Originally Posted by bellerose View Post
    Sorry about that. I misunderstood it.
    no problem, just wanted to clarify