Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Someone shared this article before: http://www.salon.com/2008/08/25/creative_black_names/ and I found it an interesting perspective (if one that I have no idea how to go about verifying.)

The author compares these made-up names to music:

Quote Originally Posted by David Zax
    They are names like — to page at random through “Proud Heritage” — the catchy Maneesha and Tavonda, the magisterial Orencio and Percelle, or the evocative Lakazia and Swanzetta. They are names emerging from a tradition of linguistic and musical invention much like those that gave us jazz and rap.
    To me, this is the difference between a truly unique, creative name and the 'youneek' spellings, but all of those distinctions are pretty arbitrary imho. Who blessed Katherine/Catherine/Kathryn but drew the line at Chloe vs Klowie? Why do names like Melinda (made up in the 1840s because people liked the -linda ending) and Miranda (invented by Shakespeare) get a pass, but Deshawn and Shaniqua incite wrath?

And what's wrong with making up a name anyway? I'd venture a guess that once upon a time, yours was made up, adopted from a word in common usage, or bastardized from another language (if not all three). I know mine was.

Miranda is from a Latin word. Shaniqua isn't. It's a bunch of sounds put together. Miranda isn't.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Quote Originally Posted by casilda View Post
    Miranda is from a Latin word. Shaniqua isn't. It's a bunch of sounds put together. Miranda isn't.
    *Backs up Casilda with flags and pom-poms*

Totally with you on this one.

I read the article thinking it was going to explain to me that I was wrong and that names like Fo'nique were actually common in Africa/another continent/country and that the people who used them were citing their own heritage in their choice of names.

It didn't.

If the article is correct in suggesting that African-American people wanted to branch away from 'white' names then why go down the road of slamming a random group of letters and punctuation together and calling it a name? Surely it would make more sense to use traditional African names? There are thousands of beautiful ones to pick from which are still easy to pronounce in English.

I Behind the Name'd a few...

Adanna
    Chidimma
    Dumisani
    Folami
    Kofi

etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jenagain View Post
    I'd venture a guess that once upon a time, yours was made up, adopted from a word in common usage, or bastardized from another language (if not all three). I know mine was.
    The problem with this lies in the term 'made up'. My full name is Danish for Catherine; it's not made up, it has a root. As does Catherine and all the names that came before her in her etymology.

When I say 'made up' I mean:

1. Names that have been plucked from the air by combining a random group of letters or sounds that otherwise have no root/meaning.
    2. A spelling that is not traditional.

And to some extent -though this is more about staying power-...

3. A 'smoosh' of two or more names.

What you mean when you talk about Karen > Catherine > Ekaterine etc is a name developing over time - you even go on to cite examples yourself. Names that have roots have not just been pulled from the air.
    Last edited by renrose; September 18th, 2013 at 06:45 AM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: 18 is up. Two more to follow within the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by jenagain View Post
    ...but drew the line at Chloe vs Klowie?
    Also -- Chloe is Greek. It comes directly as a transliteration of the Greek spelling, Χλοη. Χ = ch, λ = l, ο = o, and η = e. THAT is why it's spelled Chloe and not Klowie.

Abena is a gorgeous African name. <3

I have a question. What does the author mean by "Anglo names"? Are they names used mostly by white people? Are they names from English/Old English/Scottish/Irish origin? Surely a black person is just as entitled to use a name like Matthew, Jude, or Adam.
    Last edited by casilda; September 18th, 2013 at 07:55 AM.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

I think this is all a race problem. I like certain "black" names per se, and I'm not black. People want to put labels on things, and I personally think this is just silly.

Just my two cents.
    --Carla
    Mommy to Eva Lily Catherine, b. 1/31/2014