Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nat108 View Post
    But is DeShawn anymore "dumb" than Rykker or Renesmee? I don't think so. However, DeShawn and other made up names get more negativity if they are associated with Black people.
    Nope, they're not but I consider made up names "dumb", regardless of what ethnicity they were derived on.

Imani? It seems to be pretty ethnicity specific but I know it's a legit name. Raynell? No, it's made up. Wystan? That's pretty unusual but again, it's legit (and Old English). Renesmee? No, it's made up.

@nat108 - People mention what they consider to be a downmarket name because for some people, that matters. Even if the person the poster is black, it still matters to them. My mom used to work with a black woman who had daughters named Stephanie and Brittany. She haaated that black people would throw a bunch of syllables together and call it a name. Granted, this was over 10 years ago, before names like Renesmee and Rykker were becoming popular and it wasn't as much of a "thing" white people did.
    Last edited by casilda; September 17th, 2013 at 09:41 PM.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Interesting article. I think it's a great point that plenty of other groups tend to use group-identifying baby name choices and don't get the same ridicule & urban legend status (you do not know someone who knows someone who met a girl named La-a) and the reason is absolutely racism.

This made me remember a racist joke about how Asian people were supposed to throw pots and pans into the air in order to decide their babies names.

Names are cultural identifiers and I am pretty certain that they are becoming less and less identifying as time goes by. Is Ryan black or white? Is Ryan a girl or a boy? Maybe adults feel even more uncomfortable with these less-familiar cultural identifying names because they grew up in a time when Jennifer was white and Latoya was black and things felt more predictable and they rarely encountered names that were incredibly unfamiliar and now they're sending their children to school with kids named Djuna and Yahuda and Praislyn? I don't know, but it's an interesting topic.

DeShawn is probably a surname name or an "of Shawn" kind of name like Harrison or McKenzie, right?

No. Deshawn is just de in front of Shawn.
    Current favorites:

My Adoption Journey

And De is a surname prefix, right? Like Mc. I think it means "of" or "the"? So DeShawn and McKayla are not dissimilar.

McKayla is a creative spin on Michaela and Mackenzie. "De" means "the" in Dutch surnames. It doesn't have the same meaning in African American invented names. It's just a prefix to make a "unique" name.

The two names are similar in that they're both made up.
    Last edited by casilda; September 18th, 2013 at 01:03 AM.
    Current favorites:

My Adoption Journey