Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Everything Ottilie said, really.
    I'd also add 'I Capture the Castle', which I'm saving for when my daughter is ten/eleven.

My kids are a bit little for most of my classics as of yet, but they love the Orchard book of Greek myths:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orchard-Book.../dp/1852133732
    Our copy has amazing illustrations by an artist named Jane Ray. I probably love it as much as they do!
    Ditto Orchard's Shakespeare for kids book- I love that my kids know who Titania and Malvolio are.

Getting kids excited about reading is such a kick...the kind of rapt, absorbed silence which comes over them at storytime is like no other silence!
    Tobias Rowley Quentin W. (10/04/2006)
    Mabel Juniper Elsie W. (07/03/2008)
    Barnaby Ivan Fisher (02/04/2012)

Just realised I didn't even answer the initial poster properly..
    I don't think any time is 'too early'.
    My parents were academics, and big believers in total exposure of kids to anything and everything cultural. We went to operas and they'd explain the story to us first so we could ask all our questions before the show and have some sense of what was happening.
    I think same goes for novels- kids like hearing new words, and aren't afraid to ask questions/tell you if they're bored or frustrated. but chances are, they'll enjoy hearing the words even if they aren't totally clear on what they mean.

I remember being read Great Expectations aged around eight and loving it...however much I understood! Dickens is a very good transition writer- good characters, good dialect. My son shouts 'mummy do a VOICE now' when he feels my reading is sub par. Haha
    Last edited by british.mama; September 17th, 2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    Tobias Rowley Quentin W. (10/04/2006)
    Mabel Juniper Elsie W. (07/03/2008)
    Barnaby Ivan Fisher (02/04/2012)

My mum bought us a complete set of Roald Dahl tape stories that my brother and sister listened to (and still do) every night. We also got out tape stories like the Wizard of Oz. I think that its a bit easier to get them to listen to the story as they are still learning about the story but it's easier for the parent. Just my personal experience.
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Tallulah★Ruby☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆Miller★
    babynameobsessed.worpress.com

Many great books have already been listed! Regarding when to start -- when your baby is born, i.e. it is never too early. Infants love to hear the sound of your voice for bonding and as they get older being read to helps with vocalizing and even talking. Toddlers will want picture books and board books that they can manipulate and understand. But even at this age, kids will benefit from more sophisticated chapter books being read to them. Don't worry if they do not have full comprehension. The goal is for the books to be read and re-read again and then read independently when older. A child of 10 is much more likely to pick-up a classic if it was read to him/her at an earlier age.

I'm not a mom yet, but I've always loved reading and this thread is reminding me about a lot of my old favourites! Has anyone mentioned the Anne of Green Gables series yet? I'm in university and still love them... the kind of book that grows with you. It's a pretty big deal here but not sure about outside Canada. I also used to love the Dear Canada series (like the Canadian version of the American Girl books i think) and the Royal Diaries series.

Favourite authors:
    Jean Little (From Anna, Listen to the Singing, Mama's Going to Buy You a Mockingbird)
    Karleen Bradford (she wrote a great children's fiction series about the Children's Crusade)
    Kit Pearson (A Perfect Gentle Knight, the Guests of War trilogy about British war guests in Canada)
    Eric Walters (Trapped in Ice, Safe as Houses)
    Deborah Ellis (the Breadwinner trilogy about the Afghan war)
    Lois Lowry (Number the Stars)
    Marsha Skrypuch (Nobody's Child and Daughter of War about Armenians in Turkey, Hope's War)

Wow now that I think about it I read a lot of books about war when I was younger... a lot of historical fiction. Maybe not exactly classics, but these are well known children's/young adult authors in Canada. I also love Jane Austen; though I didn't pick it up until I was about 14, my sister and I first watched the movie version when I was 10 or 11 and she was about 7. As for "actual" classics I remember liking Black Beauty, Pollyanna, and Daddy-Long-Legs. I also started reading my parents' tourist guidebooks when I was about 9 and loved them.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Scarlett, Portia, Felicity, Juliet
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy