Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Smile Reading Classic Novels to your Kidlets!

So, recently I have been reading all the classic novels I never read as a child. I must be honest some of them seem to be more appropriate for older children (but maybe I am out of my depth.) I read Alice in Wonderland a long time ago but that seemed more nonsense then anything else. I more recently finished Wizard of Oz, and have started reading both The Wind in the Willows and Peter and Wendy. They aren't bad books, that's not what I am gearing towards, I just wonder as a parent what age would you read these stories to them, based on the themes, language etc.? I guess it's probably based on the individual; but I am curious. I grew up in a household where we read Enid Blyton books before bedtime and didn't swear, although I was always a bit of a scaredy cat anyway. :P

Thanks Berries and feel free to recommend any classics you particularly love!
    Last edited by sodallas3; September 17th, 2013 at 06:14 AM.

Jessica Emily Faith
    German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Veronica - Hunter - Vivien - Logan

Well I might as well list the novels that I loved as a child. ;]

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
    The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
    Black Beauty by Anna Sewell (it might be a bit horrifying though)
    The Princess and the Goblin by George Macdonald
    Heidi by Johanna Spyri
    Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
    Any of the childrens novels by Roald Dahl
    Marko | Susanna | Kit | Rosemary

Some of the classics are quite dark some are fine.
    Winnie the Pooh, Beatrix potter ect ate quite tame but the language can make them hard to follow for little littlies.
    I'd probably wait till 8+ for some of the others- Peter Pan etc. Even the classic fairy tales in their original forms can be rather dark. The non disney little mermaid commits suicide, etc... It really depends in the child I guess. The lion king and other movies have dark scary buts too so... That doesn't really help much does it.

My parents started reading "real" books to me and my sister when we were very little, so my definition of what appropriate children's literarure might be a bit weird. I hope I'll be like that, I want my children to read proper books from a young age, I might not let them read very adult literature when they're as young as I was when I opened Lady Chatterley's Lover for the first time, but I will start reading the books below when they're three I guess. Roald Dahl is a good author to introduce, he's so funny and weird and charming, and his books are filled with amazing drawings.

Some of my favourites:
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Saw There by Lewis Carroll
    Ballet Shoes (and Skating Shoes and all the other Shoes I guess) by Noel Streatfeild
    Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, Danny Champion of the World, Matilda, Witches (and so on...) by Roald Dahl
    Collected Works by Beatrix Potter
    Coraline, Stardust by Neil Gaiman
    Emma, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (this will become a classic!)
    Hugo & Josephine, Agnes Cecilia, Skuggan Över Stenbänken by Maria Gripe
    I Capture the Castle, One Hundred and One Dalmatians by Dodie Smith
    Jim Button and Luke the Engine Driver, The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
    Madicken, Ronja the Robber's Daughter, Mio My Son, The Brother's Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren
    Peter Pan, Peter in Kensington Park, Peter & Wendy by J.M. Barrie
    The Borrowers by Mary Norton
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
    The Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton
    The Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
    The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
    The Moomin Books by Tove Jansson
    The Pooh Books by A.A. Milne
    The Princess Bride by William Goldman
    The Railway Children by E. Nesbit
    The Secret Garden, A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson-Burnett
    The Wind in the Willow by Kenneth Grahame
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pierce
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014

Oh and recommendations:
    The little white horse, Elizabeth Goudge
    The last unicorn, Peter Beagle
    Winnie the Pooh (collected stories) A. A. Milne
    Hans Christen Anderson's Fairytales (although some not ok for younger kids, as the little mermaid above)
    Grimms Fairytales (the snow queen was my favorite growing up)

Arg racking my brains for more but it's not responding (sleepless 1year old equals brain dead mumma).

And I second the Secret Garden, Pippy long stockings, the Little Princess, Heidi, Narnia chronicles, little woman and Ronja the Robbers Daughter, and the Never Ending Story.
    Last edited by tuitree; September 17th, 2013 at 07:17 AM.