Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tarynkay View Post
    I read once that fairy tales help children make sense out of a very dark and often nonsensical world. I think that is true. As with anything, I think it's important to stop and discuss what you are reading. When scary things happen, it's good to work through them with your children rather than leaving them to wonder.
    The fairytale thing is true! Fairytales are meant to guide and help children, especially through puberty . And deaths and other scary things in children's stories are the same, they're there for a reason so that children will understand that bad things happen. If they learn this from an early age it won't seem so unnatural when they get older.

My parents never skipped parts of stories (apart from Lord of the Rings, I think my father skipped some of the walking sequences because he found them boring) or movies, but they always took care to talk through it. We'd have discussion groups where we had to answer questions about the chapter/scene and everything, but it was good, it helped us understand more. When we started to read and write we actually got questionnaires. My parents are weird.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I have very clear memories of my first grade teacher reading aloud to the class, some of the books she read to us were Stuart Little, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle (and the sequels), Little Pear (by Eleanor Frances Lattimore. My teacher's daughter in-law was from China, so we learned a lot about Chinese culture and had a Chinese New Year celebration) and the Wayside School books.

I second the rec of George MacDonald's fairy tales. They're truly beautiful!

Adults language today isn't at the same level it was 100 years ago, so of course children are often not at the same level as children of 100 years ago. A lot of these stories have more simplified versions available.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

I think I'll read my children fairytales and Alice and Wonderland and the like, but everyone else has given great lists so I won't add to them.

I'll just say that my dad started reading to me at a young age and I think it's the reason I'm so into reading and English at my age now. We went through the whole Harry Potter series, the whole Looking Glass series, the whole Narnia series.. We would just sit in bed for an hour and he would read and normally I would fall asleep. He always jokes that he used to forget things that happened and I would remind him the tiniest details from the book. I think it's a wonderful thing to do and it teaches children (or at least it taught me) the ability to pick out details and remember them. I'll definitly continue this with my child.

I just don't think i'll read them the real versions of the fairytales. Don't want to scare them too much!

NOTE: I also noticed someone posted about The Last Unicorn. That book and the movie scared me so bad when I was little that to this day I still cringe thinking about it. Maybe just a word of warning haha?
    Catelin Geneva
    Just highschooler by day author by night obsessed with names and future babies when she's much older.

Cecily Eirwen Ophelia, Belphoebe Judith Primrose, Isolde Bellona Winter, Circe Guinevere Florence
    ::
    Rainier Gideon Wolf, Eddard Severus Wolf, Peregrin Julius Harrow, Dorian Oliver Fox, Casimir Endymion Silver

Growing up I was read Little House series and Wizard of Oz among others. Another good one that I would like to read my children is Charlotte's Web. I think attention span plays a big role. My son can't handle books that don't have pictures on every page. I've tried reading him the Box Car Children the first one and Wizard of Oz but we only make it about a page before he starts getting antsy and wants to do something else. He loves Dr. Seuss so we read a lot of those books.
    Mother to: Patrick Werner (3/10) and Mary Claire (06/12)