4 6.78%
  • No, I do not think it is usable

11 18.64%
  • No, I associate the name strongly with Mrs. Lestrange

11 18.64%
  • Indifferent

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    To me it's usable because I knew of the star long before the Harry Potter books were written. Most of my peers don't know HP (came out when I was in high school) however a child of today named Bellatrix will definitely have peers who'll make the connection. It's a risk but not a terrible name

Fox * Shea * Jade * Azure * Eden * Greer * Arden
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Blaise * Linden

I love this name. It's definitely a guilty pleasure of mine and I would consider using it as a middle name if I could get DH on board. I love LOVE love Helena Bonham Carter as well though. And for me, the fact that Bellatrix is not only a connection to her, but also one of my favorite series of books, makes the name usable. I would put it in the middle name spot simply because other children are going to associate the name only with the crazy witch and not with the fact that she is wonderfully written character and played exquisitely by an amazing actress. But then again, if Mrs. Lovett's first name were revealed in the film adaptation of Sweeney Todd, I'd probably consider it usable as well. And she wasn't exactly sane. lol I just can't get enough of Helena Bonham Carter and the characters she portrays.
    ~Cathryn Elizabeth~

Stay at home mommy to Benton Grover and Arwen Elizabeth.
    My fur babies are Walter and Marcheline aka Mooch.
    Current favorites: Imogen Temperance, Gwendolyn Lucille, Jessamyn Hazel, Charleston Hawk, Harrison Ambrose, Thompson Conrad

I also love gorgeous Ms H B-C. The HP connection is strong but this is an indulgent beauty of a name that is too delicious not to use if you are brave enough.

thank you everyone for your comments

Jem: I don't think I'd have the heart to use any HP name even if the reference wasn't bad.

Bluesparrow: Thanks for the suggestion of the maybe column

sunshine kid, escg33k, nat108: I agree I think it should be a perfectly usable name and I like it.

essjay: I never really saw it as a one woman name as I never saw anything that striking about it due to it's similarity to other names. however it is important to consider that other people do, hence this thread. You're not near the only one that thinks this way.

southern.maple: Though I don't think the connection is that strong, I can appreciate that other people so, it is good to hear that despite this connection it is still usable.

c@29, cathbeth89, suzywoo: yeah it shall remain a GP for me as well, I would used it if I liked it more. It's nice but not at the top of the list for me.
    Last edited by giinkies; September 17th, 2013 at 10:42 PM.

I would totally use this name if my SO would agree. I think it's a beautiful name from a constellation. I have never seen the Harry Potter movies & only read the first book, so I don't associate the name with the character.

I did just ask my SO what he thinks because he loves Isabella/Bella (and that is way too popular for me to consider using) & he said no way because of the Trix ending and potential for teasing in school.