Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Does a long ethnic surname go with a non ethnic name?

Hi guys,

Dilemma! We have quite a long and ethnic surname from incl. (-) however we are Christians and we wish to give our baby a modern cool name that is not ethnic and unknown. It is already hard as it is to spell the whole surname at least give our kids a simpler more familiar names.

What do you guys think? would be too strange?

is there any guides or names you can suggest?

I will gladly private message my dear long surname for those of who are interested to help out and give some suggestions. for boys and girls
    Last edited by mommyob; September 16th, 2013 at 05:57 PM.

I dont think it would be too bad, as long as the name is under 6 letters long it shouldn't be too bad. (Email me the name and I will help you out).

Absolutely. I think it's great to have something familiar and wearable as either a fn, mn or nn, and I don't worry too much about matching ethnicity between first and last name as I do about giving the kid a good full name they can carry all their life, if they choose.

Something like Anne Suriyanarayanan or Daniel Korhonen-Salo or Ava François-Lefèvre is just fine. In today's world a lot of names are popular in all sorts of countries. I'm not sure I'd choose Saoirse Suriyanarayanan or Giuseppe Korhonen-Salo, but something like George or Jane goes with anything.

Feel free to PM your surname if you wish.

I grew up with a very good friend whose last name was Iranian and spelled like ______-_________. Her parents chose easy-on-the-ears-yet-unique, but not traditionally ethnic names for their children. I think this is a great way to balance out the weight of a long last name without it sounding out of place. Ex: Laila for a girl, or Silas for a boy.
    Wilde West

Not yet a mother; always a name nerd.

Potential West Babes: Alexander Mansfield | Samuel Forrester | Harrison Everest | William Ashcroft | Christopher Atlas
    | Lorelei Bryony | Catherine Dahlia |

Guilty Pleasures: Adlai | Eos | Rowen | Oriana | Anoa | Wilhelmina

Thank you guys.

Yes, a short fn that is easy to spell and remember will best. I have PM you with my last names and names that I have in mind, will appreciate your inputs

Cheers