Names Searched Right Now:

Welsh names - correct pronunciation

Obviously, people might prefer to say Welsh names a certain way because they like it better, but I've seen a few people on-line claiming they know how to pronounce the names correctly, when they do not.

As my native language is Welsh, and I live in Wales, I know what I'm talking about! So here are a few -

Ceridwen- Ke-REED-wen ( 'e' sounds like the 'e' in 'bet', or the name 'Ben'. It never sounds like the 'i' in 'sit')

Ceinwen - KeEEN-wen ('i' is always a sharp vowel like the 'ee' in 'meet & greet'

Gwenith - GWEN-eeth

Meleri - Mel-ER-ee

Meredith (the most commonly mispronounced name). It's Mer-E-deeth not 'MER-e-dith'. If it's Meredyth, then the 'y' is pronounced like the 'i' in 'sit'

Mererid - Mer-ER-eed

Myfanwy- My-VAN-wy ('y' sound similar to the 'i' in 'sit')

Rhoswen - ROS-wen not 'ROW-swen' (Hard to describe 'rh'. It sounds like the harder, voiceless version of the Italian rolled 'r'.
    'O' is always pronounced like the sharp, open 'o' in 'dot' and never like the long 'oh' sound in 'home'

Seren - SE-ren

Sioned- SHON-ed

Teleri - Tel-ER-ee

Any questions, just ask
    Last edited by gwenith; December 6th, 2013 at 05:54 PM.

Most of my baby name books give the pronunciation of Ceinwen as "cain-wen". That's how much they know. I may be bothering you in the future, Gwenith!
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Hehe That 'ei' sound is quite tricky for English speakers to get used to. Their tendency is to say 'Cane', with out the sharp 'ee' that's needed.

Oh good Lol. The amount of times I've had to correct the pronunciation of Cerys and Carys on these boards... Glad there's someone else now who can help me champion correct Welsh pronunciation!

I'm English but my Welsh friend taught me some Welsh. I can usually read/guesstimate words and names pretty well Know my f's from my ff's and my dd's from my d's etc
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.