Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is it okay to use the name of a Greek goddess on a Christian girl?

I am Christian, but I love the names of Greek goddesses for girls. However, I am concerned that it goes against my religious beliefs to ever name a child the name of an unchristian deity. Is it the same as naming a child a secular name with no religious meaning (like Emily or Scarlett) or would it be awkward?

Thanks in advance!!

(Not expecting, I just love names!)
    ~Emily

Ladies...
    Annabel, Carlotta, Tamar, Jubilee, Lorelei, Lola, Josie, Alice, Indira, Claire, Liliosa, Vivienne, Ella, Abigail, Ivy

Gents...
    Jameson, Samuel, Archer, Dominic, Barnaby, Paul, Henry, Oliver, Jadon, Isaac, Harrison, Lawson, Ezra, Rhys

"The most beautiful voice in the world is that of an educated Southern woman."
    (Stolen from @tabby)

I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with it either. A lot of people don't know the etymology of their names so may date back to the Pagan era yet they don't mind. If you love a name then it shouldn't matter. I'm a Christian and I absolutely love Greek goddess names! Not all of the Biblical names have great meanings either eg Mara meaning bitterness so names have many dimensions so I don't think it matters. X
    Eulalie December & Lysander James

Nickname names: Ferry (Ferelith) & Sibby (Cybele)

Many names of Greek and Roman mythology also happen to be Christian saint names so I don't think it would be a problem. We have to remember that before their conversions to Christianity, many people were pagans or worshipped gods and goddesses. I would suggest you take a look at the list of saints on the web if you're interested and see if one jumps out at you. Personally, I wouldn't name a child Scarlett just because of the negative associations with the name (scarlet woman, scarlet fever). Emily IS a saint name so that name wouldn't be a problem for any Christian. I like Persephone but since she was the queen of the underworld and the daughter of Zeus, I would hesitate to use it. I guess it's very subjective and it depends on your comfort level. What kind of names do people in your church choose for their children?
    All the best,
    Mischa.

It's okay in my opinion. Athena is my fave Greek name. I like Penelope a lot too.