Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Kirstin vs Kirsten

I recently read on behindthename.com that Kirsten is pronounced KEER-stin and is of Scandinavian origin, while Kirstin (pronounced KURR-stin) is Scottish. Anyone else know anything about this? (I know that there was a recent thread about Kirsten and pronunciation, but as far as I can recall there wasn't any talk about Kirstin.)

Do you think that Kirstin would be endlessly mispronounced? Personally, I think the Kirstin spelling makes me more inclined to pronounce it KURR-stin, which I can definitely envision in a Scottish accent. While I like Kirsten, I don't think I like it enough to use it on a child, while Kirstin I definitely would.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/input!

I think both names are Scandinavian in origin (versions of Christine) but Kirstin may be the spelling that is used most in Scotland because it's similar to the Scottish name of Kirstie/Kirsty. Even Kerstin may be pronounced differently in the various countries in Scandinavia. If you want the "KURR-stin" pronunciation, I would definitely use the Kirstin spelling.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Mischa, it would be interesting if the Scots commandeered the Kirstin spelling to use as a lengthier form of Kirsty/Kirstie!

I would honestly pronounce them both the same. Kirstin looks like a spelling variation of Kirsten (<which I like this spelling better).

Quote Originally Posted by leahmarie512 View Post
    Mischa, it would be interesting if the Scots commandeered the Kirstin spelling to use as a lengthier form of Kirsty/Kirstie!
    I think it's highly possible because there was a strong Viking influence in Scotland from the 8th to 15th centuries . Norsemen were raiding and conquering many parts of the country, then settled with their families or married local women. Their influence has diminished quite a bit but it's still there, especially in the northern islands like the Shetlands, the Orkneys and the Hebrides.
    All the best,
    Mischa.