Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

is Barney useable?

I don't want to use it, just curious if things like How I Met Your Mother have made this name more useable than it was previously?
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

I think it's perfectly usable. Never seen HIMYM, but I don't think the purple dinosaur or the Flintstones character have the association that it used to among kids as I don't think they're screened the same amount as when a lot of us members were young. And Barnes/Barnaby/Barnabus are all solid full names to back it up as well if required. I'm actually quite a fan of Barney as a name.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

I think that it would be usable as a nn for Barnaby or Barnabus, as essjay said, but I don't think it's usable as a stand alone fn. The first thing I think of is the big purple dinosaur, the second thing I think of is Neil Patrick Harris. But personally, I don't think that his character has made it any more usable. Every time I see an episode of HIMYM, I just think how incongruous his name is compared to his character.

We watched Barney all the time at the daycare.

That being said, I still think it's a perfectly usable nickname. I don't like it as a full name. I think with Barnabus or Barnaby or one of those longer names, it's be fine.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

I agree with dantea and leahmarie and though it maybe a fine nickname I do not think it could be a stand alone firtsname.
    For me, despite the celebrity of the Barney Stintson character... I only think of the purple dinosaur when I hear the name and not him.
    For me at least, I am not sure if the name will ever outlive the association.