Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can Eugenia honor a Jean?

Hello Berries,
    My first question: can Eugenia be used as a substitute for Jean?
    I'm very close with my grandmother, and her middle name is Jean. I would only use it as a middle name in honor if her...but I don't like Jean.
    So, would Eugenia work?

Second question:
    what's your opinion on Opal Eugenia?
    Any other first names that could go with Eugenia as a middle name?
    Teenberry. INFP. Ravenclaw. Passions: art, theatre, music, psychology, yoga, meditation, naming, and reading.
    (Changing my name to Zoie Willow.)

For a future...
    Ever-so Darling Daughter:
    Opal Eleanor ~ Lavender Elaine ~ Harmony Ophelia Maude ~ Poet Aurelia Charlotte

Splendid Son:
    Sebastian River - Hugo William Sky - Hawthorne Timothy Lewis - Rivers Cornelius Henry

I think it works, but as a middle, it would mean a lot more to just use Jean. You're not going to say it very often anyway. Opal is definitely not my thing, but it flows okay with Jean and really nicely with Eugenia
    ~~~~~~14 year old Canadian geek~~~~~~
    Girls:
    Alaska, Laila, Jasmine, Rachel, Amara, Daine, Anne, Sarai, Caroline, Alianne, Freya, Sophie, Coraline, Beth
    Combos: Alaska Jasmine, Alianne Inara, Laila Coraline, Freya Sarai, Anne Zaina, Rachel Amira, Amara May, Sophie Noor, Beth Aziza
    Boys:
    Avery, Rowan, Stellan, Sky, Dusk, Hart, Castiel, Alastair
    Combos: Dusk Alexander, Sky Amir, Hart Ismail

I think it would work- Eugenia has the "Jean" sound right in the middle of it. Would your grandmother consider that honouring though? Whatever anyone else thinks, if your grandmother thinks it honours her then it does- some people feel you have to use the exact name.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

I think it works because you hear "jean" in the name, and I love Opal Eugenia. Still, as BonfareAzalea said, the most important thing is whether your grandmother sees that as honouring her.

Also, you could consider all variant names. Jean is related to John, so Jane, Joanne, Jeanne (usually pronounced the same but looks a bit prettier IMO), and even Siobhan would all work.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

I think it works and I have considered it as well! My mom is named Jean. I like Jean a lot, but Eugenia feels like a better fit with some of the shorter names that I like:

Eugenia Faye
    Jean Beatrice

Iris Eugenia
    Marigold Jean

I also like Eugenie.

I think Jean & Eugenia work best with names that feel very current. Some of the names I love that have a more dated aspect to them I wouldn't pair with them. Theresa or Veronica for example. I think names like that pair well with something more obviously 2014 or they can read like a 'mom name'. That's just my opinion though. Veronica Eugenie is rather nice, I just think Veronica Harper sounds more like a girl of today