Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hjordis

Hjordis

Hi!
    I was hoping that you could help me out
    hWhen I was four years old I promised all of my greatgrandmothers that I´d name my daughters after them, a promise I´d like to keep. The names are; Elvira, Alvilda, Simona and Hjørdis...the only problem is Hjørdis, my fiancee is American so a name that is possible for him to pronounce right, is a must. So I was hoping that you could help me out with a name to honor her? (on a site note, my greatgrandfathers were; Jens, Hans, Johannes, and Arne)
    Thank you!

Wow! What a name. Jordis, maybe? Something with the same meaning, another sword name? Brenda, Brenna. Um, Saskia? I think that's actually knife though. Similar, a blade. I think it's great, and would be fine in the middle. Otherwise, something she loved, or her middle name.
    Artemis Willow ☀ Cordelia Avalon ☀ Isabeau Forest ☀ Isadora Nightingale ☀ Lorelei Ondine ☀ Lyra Snow ☀ Pandora Everild ☀ Tabitha Eilonwy ☀ Thisbe Wildrose ☀ Thora Silmarien
    Caspian Wilder ☀ Conrad Elessar ☀ Damian Sparrow ☀ Desmond Thorn ☀ Evander Hart ☀ Everett Ward ☀ Gwydion Alaric ☀ Malachi Bjorn ☀ Peregrine Llyr ☀ Theodore Winter

writing a novel and preparing for the baby making
    our two furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

Its pronounced similar to Jordis. Her middle name is Maria, as were Elvira and Simona´s, not very creative hehe.

Not very creative, no, but Maria is lovely. If it were me, I'd put it in the middle. I'm American and I can say it, although probably not perfectly. I do also speak Spanish though, so I'm very used to H being pretty much silent, and J not having a hard sound. More of a short (almost silent) h sound (sort of like the h in whisper) followed by a y (as in yellow) sound? That's how I'm saying it without looking up a pronunciation guide. If you're in the US, I'd probably go for Hjordis (not Hjørdis) or Jordis.
    Artemis Willow ☀ Cordelia Avalon ☀ Isabeau Forest ☀ Isadora Nightingale ☀ Lorelei Ondine ☀ Lyra Snow ☀ Pandora Everild ☀ Tabitha Eilonwy ☀ Thisbe Wildrose ☀ Thora Silmarien
    Caspian Wilder ☀ Conrad Elessar ☀ Damian Sparrow ☀ Desmond Thorn ☀ Evander Hart ☀ Everett Ward ☀ Gwydion Alaric ☀ Malachi Bjorn ☀ Peregrine Llyr ☀ Theodore Winter

In fact, I'm sort of falling in love with Hjørdis. Have you talked it over with him?
    Last edited by redwoodfey; September 14th, 2013 at 07:06 PM.