Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hjordis

Hjordis

Hi!
    I was hoping that you could help me out
    hWhen I was four years old I promised all of my greatgrandmothers that I´d name my daughters after them, a promise I´d like to keep. The names are; Elvira, Alvilda, Simona and Hjørdis...the only problem is Hjørdis, my fiancee is American so a name that is possible for him to pronounce right, is a must. So I was hoping that you could help me out with a name to honor her? (on a site note, my greatgrandfathers were; Jens, Hans, Johannes, and Arne)
    Thank you!

Wow! What a name. Jordis, maybe? Something with the same meaning, another sword name? Brenda, Brenna. Um, Saskia? I think that's actually knife though. Similar, a blade. I think it's great, and would be fine in the middle. Otherwise, something she loved, or her middle name.
    Considering...
    Annika, Artemis, Bianca, Cassandra, Catherine, Evadne, Felicity, Gwendolen, Isabeau, Isadora, Juniper,
    Lorelei, Lyra, Octavia, Pandora, Petra, Sunniva, Thisbe, Thora

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian, Conrad, Damian, Desmond, Evander, Everett, Ezra, Griffin, Gwydion, Malachi,
    Peregrine, Phineas, Theodore

click for my name lists
    our furbabies: Sebastian and Oleander

Its pronounced similar to Jordis. Her middle name is Maria, as were Elvira and Simona´s, not very creative hehe.

Not very creative, no, but Maria is lovely. If it were me, I'd put it in the middle. I'm American and I can say it, although probably not perfectly. I do also speak Spanish though, so I'm very used to H being pretty much silent, and J not having a hard sound. More of a short (almost silent) h sound (sort of like the h in whisper) followed by a y (as in yellow) sound? That's how I'm saying it without looking up a pronunciation guide. If you're in the US, I'd probably go for Hjordis (not Hjørdis) or Jordis.
    Considering...
    Annika, Artemis, Bianca, Cassandra, Catherine, Evadne, Felicity, Gwendolen, Isabeau, Isadora, Juniper,

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian, Conrad, Damian, Desmond, Evander, Everett, Ezra, Griffin, Gwydion, Malachi,

click for my name lists

In fact, I'm sort of falling in love with Hjørdis. Have you talked it over with him?
    Last edited by redwoodfey; September 14th, 2013 at 08:06 PM.
    Considering...

●●● ●●● ●●●

click for my name lists