Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sweet, storybook vintage names for girls

Hello, berries!

We are expecting our third baby in February 2014. If it's a boy we'll call him Walter, a name we are head over heels in love with, but my husband and I can't find any girl names we agree on.

Any suggestions along these lines? We like names that are classic but not overly common. My husband doesn't have a clear name "style" for girls, but I would consider mine to be vintage and sweet, with the air of a heroine from an old storybook rather than an old lady. Think of intelligent little girls from an E. Nesbit novel, or something that sounds dainty and Victorian but would fit very nicely into a steampunk book too.

Names I like but have been mostly vetoed by hubby:
    Adelaide
    Alice
    Anthea
    Beatrice/Beatrix
    Daphne
    Delia
    Della
    Eleanor/Elinor
    Eliza
    Felicity
    Maeve
    Margaret
    Stella
    Tessa

Names my husband likes but are mostly vetoed by me:
    Alina
    Eleanor/Elinor
    Helen
    Miranda (our original pick - I eventually decided it wasn't right even though I really like it)
    Olivia

He says we need to use a name starting with a hard consonant to match the snappy C's of our first two kids' names, but I'm not sure that's going to ever happen based on the ones he's suggested so far! We cannot do C, K, or J names, and are hoping to use the middle name Hermione. Our last name is two syllables, starting with J. So:

_______ Hermione J.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for us?

Thanks!
    Trustedwriter
    Speculative fiction writer and mother to Charles Theophilus (2.5 years), Corinna Melisande -- nicknamed Cora (13 months), and the Tiny Girl (due Feb. 2014). Lover of studious, ancient boy names and sweet, intelligent girl names with a touch of fairy-tale beauty.

Love your kids names! How about Adeline? It is a bit more modern than Adelaide. Here are some I love that would work:

Clara
    Anne
    Elise
    Ruby
    Lydia
    Jane
    Mirabel

So funny! I have a Cornelia Hermione, one vintage name plus Hermione. I find it the best name to go with Hermione, of course, but you already have a Corinna. I love yours' style, cool mix of vintage and quirkiness.
    Other ideas:
    Delilah
    Astoria
    Athena
    Veronica
    Natalia
    Victoria

Each magician has his own power sign...
    * Hector & Leontine
    ♈ ♉ ♊ ♋ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓ are under transformation into heroes and queens!

Matilda was the first name that came to mind that you didn't already have on your list, Matilda Hermione J.
    Other names that fit your criteria
    Penelope
    Lucy/Lucelle
    Samantha
    Cordelia
    Annabelle
    Anneliese
    Marianne

~Sweet and Sassy~
    Elizabeth Winona "Elsie" ~ Adelheid Ruby "Addie Rue" ~ Casilda Josephine "Cassie Jo"
    Hildemara "Mara" ~ Lucinda "Lucy" ~ Wilhelmina "Lina" ~ Marilla "Millie"

~Strong and Ornery~
    Gideon Boone ~ Matthias Wesley ~ Cadmar Luke "Cade"
    Malcolm "Cal" ~ Simeon ~ Gilbert ~ Alaric "Lark"

Call me Cynthia, Angie, or Luna.
    21 years old name nerd. Finally done with uni.

Clemency | Clementine | Juliette | Helena | Isabelle | Annabelle | Evangeline | Seraphina | Rosalind | Violetta
    Vanessa | Audrey | Ariadne | Callista | Belphoebe | Bellatrix | Lyra | Valencia | Valentina | Laetitia | Cytherea
    Gavriel | Hermes | Flynn | James | Orion | Alexander | Caspian | Peregrine | Marius | Altair
    Callum | Cadmus | Jason | Perseus | Theseus | Oliver | Éomund | Luca | Amias