Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Vintage names! Yes!

Some of these have been mentioned by other berries but I'll add my vote to them:

Bridget
    Stella
    Mabel
    Mavis
    Penelope (Penny)
    Lucinda (Lucy)

And I'm just going to put his out there - why not go with Hermione as a first name? Everyone in the world knows how to say it and spell it by now and you must love it already - it is a great name - just go for it!

First baby due on September 7, 2015!

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

August - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Wow, more great suggestions! I like Violet, Eve, and Leona (although unfortunately Leona was the name of an unpleasant side character in a novel I wrote once...I'm not sure I can get past that association!). I don't think any of them sound like names my husband would like, but I can keep them in mind.

Thanks for the corrections on the character Matilda! I was confusing her with "Sabrina the Teenage Witch". Husband says he doesn't like the name or the nickname Tilda...boohoo.

You know, I DO love Hermione enough to use it as a first name, but I worry that her entire life people she's introduced to will say, "Like in Harry Potter?" Do you think this would happen? Also, I'm not sure my husband would go for it as a first name. He's more of a traditionalist than that. Plus, all my kids' middle names are unusual and interesting, so I'd have to top her first name with something even MORE unusual, and that might be unwieldy all together.

My recent thought is Ella. It's SO popular right now, but Ella Hermione is lovely. It has a host of lovely meanings (very important to me) and "Ella Enchanted" is one of my favorite books, which is fine with me because I like my children's names to have some tie to literature.

And actually one of the names my husband suggested is Ellen. I said, "No way!" at the time, but now that I think about it, Ellen Hermione flows even more nicely than Ella Hermione. Is Ellen too dated to use now? I think it's kind of sweet, and even though it brings up a more middle-aged image, I can picture it on a little girl. But I do loathe the nickname Ellie...
    Last edited by trustedwriter; September 18th, 2013 at 03:05 PM.
    Speculative fiction writer and mother to Charles Theophilus (2.5 years), Corinna Melisande -- nicknamed Cora (13 months), and the Tiny Girl (due Feb. 2014). Lover of studious, ancient boy names and sweet, intelligent girl names with a touch of fairy-tale beauty.

I know a little 6 month old named Ellen but called Elle. I think it's perfectly cute, goes well with Hermione, and covers your criteria. You could even call Ellen Ella if you liked, I'm sure.

Ella Hermione is absolutely perfect! I love it!
    Mama of Henry Atlas & Margot Story

Other name loves:

Girls: Phoebe, Ramona, Holiday, Matilda, Susan, Helen
    Boys: Thomas, Ulysses, Odin, Oliver