Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Animals usually can sense that they have to be careful with babies and children. We had a border collie growing up that was very sweet and gentle and very protective of the kids in our household. She lived to be around 17 years old, and toward the end when she started to get arthritic and lose her sense of hearing and sight she wasn't as patient with children & would nip at them if they frightened her.

Personally I would wait to get a dog until my children are old enough to ask for one and to help take care of the animal. Probably when Azula is 7 or so we will start to consider a dog.
    Before then, I think cats are okay because they kind of keep to themselves more & aren't as much upkeep as a dog.
    Rabbits are fantastic for little kids because they aren't self-defensive and they teach children to be gentle and calm and to socialize.
    New username is @ truenature

When our son was born, our dog was about 7 months old and we had him for about 4 months. We did not plan it that way. The baby was a big surprise. They told us in the hospital that our dog was the biggest possible danger to the new baby in our home. Pets (dogs and cats) will attack new babies, it really does happen. When the baby first becomes mobile, that is another dangerous time. That said, I think that if you take reasonable precautions, are careful about introducing the baby to the pet, and make sure to continue making time for your pet, everything will be fine.

The nurses at the hospital told us to take home our son's first hat- the one that they put on the baby right after birth, before you get to bathe him. My husband brought the hat home and let our dog smell it, then gave Ezra treats and lots of attention. Then when we brought Lev home, we let Ezra smell the baby and gave him more treats and attention. Then we were just careful. We never left the dog alone with the baby. Ezra was never allowed to jump on the couch or bed or anything and I think that helped b.c we could have the baby on the bed for instance and not have the dog all up in his face. We had also spent a lot of time training the dog ahead of time. Still, Ezra snapped at the baby once at we immediately let him know that was unacceptable. He has never done it again.

For the first several months, Ezra did fine with the baby but didn't really seem to know what to make of him. Levin was fascinated by the dog from the beginning, though. As soon as he started eating solids, he started feeding the dog. As soon as he became mobile, we had to start hiding the dog dish b.c the dog wants to share his food with the baby. Now they have a good relationship. Lev can tell Ezra, "sit down!" and Ezra will sit. Levin will throw Ezra's ball for him- it only goes about two feet, but Ezra will fetch it and bring it back. It's really cute and I think good for both of them. We do spend a lot of time reminding Levin to have gentle hands and not to hit Ezra or pull his ears or poke him in the eye or chase him around with the hairbrush... Hopefully, in time, this relationship will be more rewarding for Ezra.

Quote Originally Posted by moonkai View Post
    I'm a little concerned about our bunny - that a baby will harm him, mostly. He only weighs 3 lbs and is pretty gentle and hides rather than attacks when scared. Lots of baby gates, I suppose!
    Same with us! We plan on getting a couple of rabbits when we move into our new house (current house doesn't allow pets). We love netherland dwarfs but with their size they would be extremely vunerable to kiddie attacks, not to mention they can have a fiesty temperment. As we plan to rescue our bunnies we might opt for a larger breed to stop this.
    Name lover & Engaged to a wonderful man

Lilith - Vesper - Francesca - Tiffany - Lark - Viola - Naomi - Eloise - Layla - Amy - Phoebe - Freya
    Zachary - Alexander - Tristan - George - Axel - Dominic - Loki - Malachi- Rowan - Harvey - Griffin - Briar

Bunny names:
    M: Banjo, Chewbacca
    F: Kairi, Pika
    Uni: Bantha, Domino, Tadpole

My blog: http://thereviewinators.wordpress.com/

sweekune - Bunnies are awesome! we adopted ours from the humane society so it was total luck of the draw on the breed. We have a mini-lop but I would love to get him a companion who is a little bit larger. Right now the humane society has a few silver martens that are sooo pretty!

As to temperament I really think it tends to depend on the individual rabbit, so you might find some snuggly little rescue dwarfies!
    Baby Sequoia Orion born 11-8-14!
    Other favorites: Cytheria, Arcadia, Seraphina, Caspian, Gideon