Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Alternatives for Rhea?

My grandmother's name is Rhea. I would love to use it as a middle name for my daughter, but I'm afraid she would get teased mercilessly because it sounds like diarrhea. Any ideas for changing it up so it's similar enough to honor Rhea but far enough from diarrhea? First name might be Noa or Juno.

Raya - don't like the sound of Ray
    Rheane - starts to sound a lot like Rihanna.
    Ryan - I know some girls have that name these days, but I want something from feminine.
    Rya - Too made up?
    Ria - Sounds the exact same as Rhea, but at least the spelling is a little different.
    Thea - I think it's the perfect way to change it, especially since my other grandmother is Therese so it's a good mix of the two, but my husband hates it.

(Not to mention, none of these sound terribly good with Noa or Juno, except maybe for Noa Rheane. Unfortunately, it sounds like No Ariane and Ariane is my name!)
    Last edited by ariane209; September 13th, 2013 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ariane209 View Post
    My grandmother's name is Rhea. I would love to use it as a middle name for my daughter, but I'm afraid she would get teased mercilessly because it sounds like diarrhea. Any ideas for changing it up so it's similar enough to honor Rhea but far enough from diarrhea? First name might be Noa or Juno.

Raya - don't like the sound of Ray
    Rheane - starts to sound a lot like Rihanna.
    Ryan - I know some girls have that name these days, but I want something from feminine.
    Rya - Too made up?
    Ria - Sounds the exact same as Rhea, but at least the spelling is a little different.
    Thea - I think it's the perfect way to change it, especially since my other grandmother is Therese so it's a good mix of the two, but my husband hates it.

My grandmothers name is Rhea too. I just asked a question regarding a way to honor her* I dislike it for the the same reason you're afraid to use it. My grandmother was actually teased with diarrhea when she was younger. I've thought of using names that end in the sound -ria/rhea such as Maria and also Rhiannon.

What about using her middle name or last name?

*http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...o-honor-a-Rhea
    Could you check out this thread please? I'll return the favor. Send me a PM.
    Link 1 and Link 2

Alice Hermione, Madeleine ?, Lilith Seraphine, Caroline Hazel, Rosemary Gloria, Hana Felicity, James Alaric Matthew, Henry Elijah/Henry Marcellus, Alexander Lucian Godfrey & Sebastian Rhys
    Not pregnant. Just collecting names. AthenaDanielle

My grandma is French and doesn't speak a lick of English. I'm not sure she knows what her name kinda sounds like in English, and I don't want to be the one to break it to her! :P

What's her middle name? If it's a pleasant name you could say you want to make it a tradition to pass down her middle name instead of using her first name.
    Could you check out this thread please? I'll return the favor. Send me a PM.
    Link 1 and Link 2

Alice Hermione, Madeleine ?, Lilith Seraphine, Caroline Hazel, Rosemary Gloria, Hana Felicity, James Alaric Matthew, Henry Elijah/Henry Marcellus, Alexander Lucian Godfrey & Sebastian Rhys
    Not pregnant. Just collecting names. AthenaDanielle

I agree with the suggestion of Maria and Rhiannon.
    or Victoria (anything really with Ria -the alternate spelling- on the end)

I like Thea (I prefer the Theia spelling though)... sorry you can't use it