Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Macabee/Maccabee/MacAbee

Having a bit of a dilemma over here. We want to use a family surname (MacAbee) for our son's middle name. It seems nitpicky, perhaps, but neither of us is crazy about the capitalization of the A. In our family, MacAbee has always been pronounced MACK-uh-bee, not mack-AY-bee. So we were planning to use Macabee as the middle, since people pronounce MacAbee wrong a lot. We just like the way it looked too. However, we don't really want people to think we just misspelled the traditional Hebrew name (not that we are Jewish or super religious) Maccabee.

So which name would you use?

Shiloh Macabee
    Shiloh Maccabee
    Shiloh MacAbee
    Last edited by tomaura226; September 13th, 2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: edited for clarification
    Maura
    mama to
    Flannery Katherine

how is MacAbee of Hebrew origin?

I imagine MacAbee is not of Hebrew origin (Scots-Irish more likely), but it is identical in pronunciation to the Hebrew name Maccabee (from the Old Testament).
    Maura
    mama to
    Flannery Katherine

Shiloh Macabee looks the best to my eyes! There's no need to add an extra "c" if the original family surname only has one.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Quote Originally Posted by tomaura226 View Post
    I imagine MacAbee is not of Hebrew origin (Scots-Irish more likely), but it is identical in pronunciation to the Hebrew name Maccabee (from the Old Testament).
    i see. so they're two different names but identical in pronunciation.

i think Macabee or Maccabee both work for that. whether or not you want to add the second c i guess depends on whether or not you think it would change the family name into the (unrelated, i assume) Hebrew name. but i think both would be pronounced the way you'd want it, so it's not necessary to add the c.