Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Disappointed with my style

Hello berries! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster

Girls names have never been a problem for me, I could probably name 10 girls right now if given the opportunity. Boys names on the other hand, I seem to be having troubles. I've always loved different names (or maybe I just fancy myself loving different names), but I can never seem to come up with any for boys. I find myself making my list out of simpler, more common boys names that don't match my girls names at all. Not to say that a name being in the top 100 would stop me from using it, and I definitely wouldn't avoid using one of my favourites just because it wasn't different. I just feel like there's some cool, unique, dashing boys names out there that are just waiting for me to fall in love with them, I just haven't found them yet. Some I'm coming to you berries, hopefully for some suggestions!

I've always felt like my 3 syllable name was impossibly long, so I tend towards 1 or 2 syllable names. If something is even remotely unisex for a boy, I find it turns me off. I know this is kind of sexist and it shouldn't, especially since many of those names started out as all boy names, but just can't imagine Avery, Rowan, Rory, Jordan (and others similar on the unisex spectrum) on boys. I don't usually like boys names ending an "ee" or "a" sound (a la Toby, Noah, etc), but this is definitely not all encompassing. I seem to find myself drawn to the letter D on boys, not sure why.

My favourite boys name is Parker. But again, it worries me that it's getting so popular for girls! My guilty pleasure name is Dustin. It's very dated and it sounds way too much like dustbin for me to use it, but I just love the way it feels, all manly and rough, but still soft and caring at the same time.

Some of my other favourites:
    Dean
    Leo
    Levi
    Seth
    Oliver
    Chase
    Cole
    Landon
    Asher
    Owen
    Nathaniel
    Logan
    Charlie

Less common names that I've come to appreciate more:
    Duncan
    Jasper
    Milo
    Dashiell

I think the problem is just that none of them feels right. Hopefully I don't sound too crazy and there's a few suggestions out there for me.

Thank you!!

You have some really great names here! I particularly love - Dean, Levi, Seth, Owen (one of my top choices too), Jasper, and Nathaniel.

Some Suggestions

Eli
    Adam
    Abel
    Jeremiah
    Isaac
    Beau
    Lane
    Emmett
    Clay
    Ian
    Dexter
    Thaddeus
    Felix

I hope some of these help!

I think your names have a fresh/traditional feel. I love:

Nathaniel
    Charlie
    Oliver

How about:

Bennett
    Elliot
    Spencer
    Griffin
    Henry
    Holden
    Samuel
    Alexander

Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

i can relate to what you're writing about how you're "disappointed with your style". i've always been obsessed with names and could name octuplets in a heartbeat if they were all girls. but when i found out we were having a boy, i was staring at an empty list.

i did what you did and started out with more common boy names (i like obscure names, maybe like you?), just to get an idea of what's out there for boys and what "my style" really is about. i didn't know what i liked when i started out my search for a boy's name.

i am now in my 9th month and can say it has taken us the whole 9 months to find the right name. if boy names just don't come easy for you but you care about the name (which i assume you do since you've found this forum and created this thread), i would invest the time and energy. when i look back at the names i started out with, i shudder -- i would have definitely ended up with baby name regret.

i can't help you much with manly names since i seem to be drawn to unisex names and happen to like the ones you're mentioning here that you couldn't picture on a boy. reading your post, i was going to suggest Dashiell / Dash but then i saw you already have that one on your list! Duncan is a favorite of a friend of mine, it's too masculine for me so i would have suggested that for you too. what do you think of Duke or Darwin?
    i also really like Justice, like kala_way suggested. could it possibly work for Dustin (which i agree sounds like dustbin)?