Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

A More Feminine Alternate to Paris?

I really like the name Paris but I do find it to be a masculine sounding name (and it was originally a male name after all). So I was wondering if there was maybe a more feminine sounding alternate to Paris?... without sounding too trashy?
    No I won't name my son Paris as I think this name has gone to the girls.

Here's what I found:

Parisienne - which is a female citizen of the city of Paris according to the dictionary (wondering if this maybe crossed into Moroccan territory a la Mariah Carey) this is actually my favorite
    Parisa - a totally unrelated name but it contains Paris
    Parisette - I found this one online... it was an old time movie with a titular main character.
    Parisina - A Lord Byron Poem

I even found a few surnames online

Parisena
    Parisella - like Jerry Parisella
    Parisela

I also had the suggestion of
    Parisiana - a friend of a friend has this name

Do they sound too smoosh-namey? Or trashy?

(funny thing whilst I was posting I was also watching family feud where the question was - "What do you think Paris Hilton spends most of her time thinking about?")

General honest thoughts about the names are welcome... do you hate it?

If the general consensus is that Paris or any off-shoot of it is a bad trendy name I'll go back to Seraphina and Esmee
    Last edited by giinkies; September 13th, 2013 at 06:21 AM.

I have to be honest - Paris is a huge GP Of mine.
    I think it's lovely and I say go for it. Particularly if you have a strong connection to the city.
    In ten years the playgrounds will be awash with Esmes and Seraphinas, but not Paris', and the Hilton connection wont matter.

you know my opinion for Paris so I will go to the options.

My favorite are Parisienne, Parisa & Parisella. Very beautiful names.

Although honestly I think just Paris isnt trashy. Is a bit of trendy but I think it's cute and spunky.

Whatever your choose is gr
    Last edited by bellerose; September 15th, 2013 at 11:28 AM.

" Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too was a gift " ~ Mary Oliver

My name is Vasiliki but I prefer Bellerose . A lover of dark names , trying to be something in her life .

Persephone " Seph " ~ Hades ~ Prometheus .

In my opinion Paris is actually *two* different names — masculine the Greek name (spelt Pâris in French) and name of the city (from Gaulish). The latter is theoretically unisex: place names have been used on both genders for centuries (Jordan, London, Siena, Geneva, Troy, Loreto, France).

I'd rather see a girl Paris than using a related French / italian word as a name. Parisa is your best option here.

Some ideas that could lead to the nickname Paris:
    Paraskeve > Paras > Paris
    Parthenia > Parie > Paris
    Parthenope > iden
    Priscilla > Pris > Paris

Another idea would be to use a double first name, paring it with a feminine/more classic name (and call her Paris at home):
    Paris-Grace
    Paris-Maud
    Paris-Marie
    Paris-Louise
    Paris-Claire
    Paris-Anne
    Paris-May
    Paris-Catherine
    Paris-Olivia

Ada-Paris
    Charlotte-Paris
    Ella-Paris
    Emma-Paris
    Sophia-Paris
    Catherine-Paris
    Leah-Paris

Similar names:
    Persis
    Praxis
    Charis
    Karis
    Maris
    Pax
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.