Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hmm I tried finding a audio but they all say both Uh-lee-oh-nah & uh-low-nuh (mainly the second pn) is that wrong? & sure id live to hear some of the tales! I feel like most Russian names would need correction if used here.

Alyona is a Russian diminuitive of Yelena so it's basically a nickname. I prefer the similar Hungarian name of Ilona to Alyona probably due to my unnatural aversion to y's in names . I do think that Russians have some of the most creative nicknames in the world. One of my faves is Alyosha which is short for the boys name Aleksei/Aleksey/Alexei.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I, too, know an Alyona in real life (or my parents do, anyway) so I know it's pronounced something like ahl-YOH-nuh. I think it's pretty but maybe dated? Based on the age of my parents' friend, anyway.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Belphoebe Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

I say 'al-ee-OH-na'. Spelt Aliona, it's the name of one of the dancers on Strictly Come Dancing.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

I quite like Alyona, although as others have noted, it will have pronunciation issues. I say Al-yo-nah, three syllables, which is the Russian way to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    I like it. I would pronounce it ally-oh-nah, and then I recognized the sound. There is a Belarusian family in my church, and the oldest daughter is named Alena. In English, it's spelled Alena, anyway. When we first met the family and were learning the children's names, the parents introduced her as al-YOH-nah (or Al-(ee)-yoh-nah--it's hard to explain in English!) as the proper Russian pronunciation (we were very confused, because the older sister was Alena, and the younger Alina!). I'm not sure why they decided to transpose it to English like that, as the "E" sound doesn't compare to the "yo" sound at all, and Alyona would have probably been a much better way to go about it. I think most people call her ah-LEE-nah or ah-LAY-nah, but my well-meaning mom who has no talent for languages always ends up calling her ah-LOH-nah. I still find it very beautiful and unexpected; I would love to meet another one!
    There is a letter that looks like an e with two dots on it (ё); the sixth the letter of the Russian alphabet, which you can find here. It is pronounced like "yo", but the dots are almost always left off in print, unless it's a text for those learning Russian. That's why her name is written as Alena and pronounced Alyona. It's also the reason why Mikhail Gorbachev's name is pronounced Gor-bah-chyov (not Gor-bah-chev). This is one of the many reasons Russian is difficult to learn!
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova