Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cambodia?

Hybrid View

Cambodia?

Honest opinions on what you guys think about the name, Cambodia? nn Bodi and/or Dia. I really love it as a first name.
    What are some good middle names for Cambodia? Thanks!
    Best regards; Julia

Persephone Kate ; Charlotte Delphine ; Evangeline Karys ; Clara Juliet ; Vera Madeleine

Joseph Scott ; Christopher Callan ; Maxwell Finn ; Noel Carter ; James Nicholas

Honestly, not a fan. To me it's just the name of a country. Do you have any connection to Cambodia or just like the way it sounds?

It just makes me think of a place of sadness and loss.

Quote Originally Posted by rkrd View Post
    It just makes me think of a place of sadness and loss.
    Agreed. I think of the Cambodian genocide and Khmer Rouge. I also receive a daily devotional to my email that revolves around the persecuted church, and I've heard a lot of very sad stories involving Cambodia (also Laos, and Vietnam, and other neighboring nations!). Unless Cambodia has some significance to you, I definitely wouldn't use it. And even if it does, I would find another way to honor it. If you have to use it, I'd use it as a middle.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

Honestly, I think it's very strange. Cambodia is the name of a country, not a person. And, as @rkrd said, it's a country with a troubling and sad history in recent decades. If you are of Cambodian heritage, I'd suggest using a Khmer name to honour that, and if you're not at all of Cambodian heritage, it would look very, very weird.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova