Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Let's talk about Lettie (Letty?)

I've long been hoping to stumble across the perfect nn for Violet (which is pretty high up on my short list!). Vi and Etta/Ettie don't do it for me, and while Vivi is cute for somebody else's baby, I doubt I'd ever use it. I find Via, Vio, Io, Viola, etc. to be nice, but a bit too much something next to sweet Violet. Lola's too much of a stretch for me. And while I LOVE Liddy and Lottie, and would love for them not to be too much of a stretch, I feel they are.

Which leaves me with Lettie (Letty?), essentially. Unless there's something I'm missing completely. I've always had a strong aversion to it, because I grew up hearing horror stories about a grossly overweight little old lady in my mom's church when she was growing up--how this woman would throw herself onto the pew and it would rock the whole church, etc. The total epitome of ungraceful and unflattering and definitely not sweet and like an adorable little lady! At least, that's how I've felt for years. But recently I've gotten into the Fast and Furious movies, and love Letty Ortiz as a character, and she gives it a totally different image. So it has me reconsidering.

If you heard Lettie/Letty, what sort of little girl do you imagine in your mind? Which spelling do you prefer? If you had a Violet, would you use Lettie/Letty as a nn? (Convince me to love Lettie, Berries!)

And as a hail Mary pass, is there any possible way that Lottie or Liddy (or even Litty?) could work as a nn for Violet? Or am I just off my rocker? (It's okay, you can totally say I am. )

Thanks, Berries!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

I like Letty (ie)! When I wanted to use my grandmothers name, Loretta, I considered this as a nickname. It was a bit of a stretch for Loretta, but I don't think it is for Violet. I don't necessarily think the beautiful Violet needs a nickname, but this is def a cute (and not off your rocker) option :-)

I love Letty because of the same character. F&F are right up there in my favorite movies of all time. I don't have a spelling preference, and if I named my daughter Violet, it'd be the natural nickname for me to go to. It's a little offbeat, to counter the popularity of Violet itself, and to me is "sweet but with a backbone." Not many people would go for Letty, so it can be something special for your daughter, but it isn't so different from other popular nicknames (Addie, Maddie, Katie) that it'd be seen as bizarre.

I could see Litty as a nn for Violet, but the other two (while not impossible) feel more a stretch to me than anything.
    Everly Anais | Maren Astoria | Paloma Winter | Vita Olivine | Xanthe Lyra | Cleo Viviana | Gemma Eulalie | Ione Catalina | Lux Isadora | Elettra Phoebe | Delphine Kaia | Hesper Valentina | India Eleri | Juniper Zara | Ivy Atalanta

Harlan Rafferty | Lorcan Barnaby | Soren Felix | Atlas Tyrion | Zephyr Sebastian | Oberon Leo

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about." - Oscar Wilde

Lettie/Letty would be perfect for Violet. It makes me think of Hattie which feels very current despite being a name that could easily have once been worn by a chubby church lady! I personally thing that all of those kinds of names (Edna, Ida, Ada, Betty, Nell, Olive, ect) could fit an adorable toddler or someone's great aunt! If you name your little one Violet nn Lettie she will make it her own and soon enough people will forget about (or at least stop talking about!) the other Lettie!

I say the name more like Vie-lit so Litty or Liddy feel perfectly intuitive to me. Lita/Lida could probably work too.

Letty is so pretty and happy sounding. Definitely a winner for me. And definitely with the 'y'.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.