Meriadoc -boy
    Shire - boy
    Legolas - girl
    Peregrine - boy/girl this way
    Current Favorite Names
    ♀ Monet | Monroe | Celsius (MN) | Malachi | Chai | Iowa
    ♂ Celsius (MN) | Monroe | Andrew

"Cat Mom" to: Tiger Lilly Jane

Glorfindel is my absolute favorite Tolkien character. I would love to use this name. I do not feel like it's particularly unusable, by my husband gives me weird looks anytime I bring it up. He has such a beautiful story!

I also love the names Peregrin & Faramir.

And I know we're in the Boys forum, but Valinor is one of my favorite options for girls. I suppose it could work well for boys, too.

Also, Arathorn could be an alternative to Aragorn, maybe? I don't know, it might be as associated with LotR as Aragorn, but I don't think so.
    Last edited by dovah; September 14th, 2013 at 12:51 AM.

LOVE THORIN! So so much. I probably wouldn't use it on a human being but I'd definitely consider it for a pet. Something large and wolf-like like a German shepherd or malamute. I'd file Bilbo under awesome pet names as well.

Kili is another favourite of mine but as a pp noted it's not very usable

For the Dwarves, I sort of like Bombur even though he didn't do much :P His name has a cool sound. Aside from the obvious Thorin, I think there's some Dwarf names that are usable. I think there's a few that could be used as a nn for a subtle connection to the work.

Balin
    Dain
    Dori -- as a nn. I know someone with a really long Greek name containing -dorus and he goes by Dori. Theodore, Dorian, Isidore, Salvador.
    Durin
    Fili -- as a nn. Bonfilio, Fileas, Filibert, Phillip, Philemon
    Kili -- as a nn. Eskil, Kildaire, Killian
    Loni -- on its own or as a nn. Alonzo, Fallon, Lonan, Marlon, Quillon
    Nori -- nn. Honor, Lenoris, Minori, Norio
    Ori -- By itself (means 'my light') or nn. Boris, Dorian, Florian, Orion, Torian
    Thrain
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Tolkien came up with some beautiful names, but to me, they work best as middle names. Names like Frodo and Gandalf could be compared to naming your child Oprah: they're so entrenched in someone else's identity that it would be hard for the child to make it their own. The only ones I might consider using are Arwen, Eowyn, Faramir, and Peregrin(e), nn Pippin. But it seems that everyone wants to use Peregrin(e), nn Pippin on Nameberry---I swear I've seen at least three birth announcements for different Peregrin(e)s/Pippins. It's kind of like the Atticus of Nambeberry names: LOTR and/or The Hobbit were probably the first pieces of fantasy literature that really affected a lot of us and pulled us into another world, so Tolkien names are easy choices for Berries.

If you really want to use a Tolkien name, go ahead because a lot of them are gorgeous and tied to great characters. I just think we should analyze why this happens among Berries because these names clearly have a pull that names from Harry Potter and A Song of Ice and Fire/Games of Thrones don't have (yet).

I do really like dantea's suggestion of the Dwarves' names as nicknames, especially Dori for names like Theodore, Fili for Philip/Phillip, and Kili for Killian.