Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hera.. opinions?

Hi!!

I know I post a lot lately but I have plenty of time and i'am bored. Anyway if you can see from my signature I add the name Hera. I was talking with my mom and she suggest it to me. Hera ( I pronounce it EE -rah) was a Greek goddess and the wife of Zeus. I like that name but she wasn't exactly my favorite goddess.

Anyway what are your opinions on that name??

You like it or not??

Also which spelling you think it's more usable? Hera or Ira?

Thanks in advance :-)

I like the name Hera, but I've only heard it hear-uh or hair-uh; I've never heard it ee-rah.

Any Greek experts want to clarify?

Anyway, she's not my favorite goddess, either, but how much that matters is a matter of personal taste. Some people require that a name has a lineage of strong women behind it, others want what's 'in' at the moment. To each her own. :-)

Ira, though, to me that's all-boy. I've also only heard that as eye-ruh, with a long i. Kind of an old man name. And then there's the Irish Republican Army (IRA) and Individual Retirement Account (IRA)...so...not something I'd put on my own list.
    Current loves:
    Opal | Saffron
    Winslow | Hopper

I've also heard Hera Hair-uh or occasionally Heer-uh...never Ear-uh. And yeah, don't do Ira for reasons stated above. ^
    NYC Addict to Girls' Names. Future journalist.

Favorite Girls:
    Annabel/Annabella, Alice, Arabella, Bryony, Calla, Clara, Clementine, Cora, Delphine, Eleanora, Emmeline, Estella, Hazel, Isadora, Ivy, Jane, Josephine, Lily, Rose, Sapphira, Violetta

Favorite Boys:
    Bryce, Calvin, Charles/Charlie, Christopher, Dylan, Wesley, Wyatt

Sorry Belle, I don't think this is the best one from your list...
    ~ Larissa

Araminta Lark
    Seraphina Daisy ~ Waverly Claire
    Zelda Marjorie ~ Romilly Violet ~ Cecily Darling
    Snow Evangeline ~ Marigold Francesca ~ Laszlo Oliver ~ Darwin Blake
    Gideon Levi ~ Fisher Gray ~ Jasper Elias
    Simon Apollo ~ Orlando Archer
    Phineas Jack

Crushing hard... Saylor Adeline ... Mazarine Alice ... Penrose Elizabeth

Hera is pronounced Hair-a.

It's written epsilon-rota-alfa (Era), but has specific old Greek accent hac. If word has hac accent on the beginning, it's written with a -h- sound. So, it's written hacEra, but pronounced Haira.
    Last edited by sorceress; September 12th, 2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: wrong word