Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I like Sapphire, Lilah, Ocean (though I would love Oceana more), Harlow, Romy and Indiana. The rest are really not my style. (trendy, nicknamey, made-up)
    Last edited by larkub101; September 12th, 2013 at 08:06 AM.
    ~ Larissa

Amaryllis Joy
    Savannah Mayfair ~ Bellamy June
    Isla Reverie ~ Holiday Elise ~ Cordelia Maple
    Sage Aurora ~ Madeline Story ~ Laszlo Oliver ~ Darwin Blake
    Gideon Levi ~ Fisher Gray ~ Jasper Elias
    Simon Apollo ~ Orlando Archer
    Phineas Jack

Crushing hard... Saylor Adeline ... Siri Genevieve ... Penrose Elizabeth

There are lots of Arabic and Polish speakers in England, and some of the names on your list are spellings in these languages. Alicja, Zuzanna, Ameera to mention a few.

I think some are weird (Beau and Ronnie), some are cute (Coco. Romy, Blossom, Peggy, etc), some I don't really get why you included (Emmanuelle, Alba, Frances, Saffron) and some horribly tacky (Princess, Divine).
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

The only ones that are weird are Ocean and Indiana. Indiana is such a boring, dull state and I don't have a good connotation with it. Ocean is just weird, but to each their own.

Not all are weird to me. It's quite usual to find Muslim or Eastern European names in our charts as they're big ethnic groups here. It's no different to seeing Juan or Miguel in the US charts. Peggy, Frankie, Georgie and their ilk aren't that odd as nicknames are really popular. There's always going to be a few naming their kids after celebrities (Emeli, Tulisa) or trying to be kr8yv with already popular names (Mazie), just as there will be in other countries. It depends on location too I think. People find Saffron weird, but I don't. There were two in my class at school... but then I do live in the home of the saffron cake

I find Harley weird on a girl as it's a trendy top 100 name for boys. Harlow is also a bit odd. Perhaps people like the sound but it just reminds me of the chavvy town in Essex. And I find Skyla, Shayla and Indianna very American. Tayla is another odd one. I presume it's an alternate spelling of Taylor??? but it seems inspired by an accent- just like how the American Masyn doesn't sound like Mason in an English accent.

There are always going to be weird ones further down the list. Once you get past the 400 mark-ish, names are only given to 100 babies which is a tiny percentage of the 750,000-odd births per year.

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    There are lots of Arabic and Polish speakers in England, and some of the names on your list are spellings in these languages. Alicja, Zuzanna, Ameera to mention a few.

I think some are weird (Beau and Ronnie), some are cute (Coco. Romy, Blossom, Peggy, etc), some I don't really get why you included (Emmanuelle, Alba, Frances, Saffron) and some horribly tacky (Princess, Divine).
    I included them because I wanted to know what people thought of them, because they are in fact different/unusual, especially where I'm from. I happen to love Alba and Saffron. I also never said they weren't or that I had issues with them, I just took anything that was different, (and a few tacky ones), or ones I couldn't make up my mind on whether it was nice or not.

♂: Neville | Matthew | Ernest | Alfie | Louis | Christopher | Harry | James | Albert | Andrew

♀: Doris | Ethel | Violet | Lillian | Florence | Martha | Minnie | Agatha |