Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Absolutely it bothers me. There is no way I would choose a name that was even in the top 300. I would so hate for my kids to have the above problem that you described. I don't mind popularity in the middle, but first names have to be rare for me to consider them for my children. My son's name, Benton, wasn't in the top 1000 until last year (he's 3) and my daughter's name, Arwen, isn't now. Her middle name, Elizabeth, is though.
    ~Cathryn Elizabeth~

Stay at home mommy to Benton Grover and Arwen Elizabeth.

Quote Originally Posted by caty_beth89 View Post
    Absolutely it bothers me. There is no way I would choose a name that was even in the top 300. I would so hate for my kids to have the above problem that you described. I don't mind popularity in the middle, but first names have to be rare for me to consider them for my children. My son's name, Benton, wasn't in the top 1000 until last year (he's 3) and my daughter's name, Arwen, isn't now. Her middle name, Elizabeth, is though.
    My mum ran into this issue twice!

She always said that when she was expecting me, she wanted a unique spelling, because she detested Hailey and Hayley was common. I was going to be Hayleigh, but that was vetoed because she deemed it as 'too difficult for a little girl to spell'. She then chose Haley, which ended up being #32 the year I was born. Having never met a fellow Haley until I was 5, and even then, she was the only other one I knew for 6 years, it wasn't so bad. Now, I always see Haley's popping up. Not to mention, at least Hayleigh could've become Leigh, so I'd have an option to shorten my name.

As for my sister, she was going to be Madison or Madeline, until 2 weeks before she was born, when my mum saw Michaela in a magazine. She didn't like that, so played around with the spelling and got Mikayla. Again, wanting to be unique, she chose that spelling, and when my sister was born, Mikayla was #94.

I think that's taught me to definitely do my research before naming!
    I've been staring at the hotel ceiling,
    Drinking everything I've found this evening,
    Trying to hold on to the sweetest feeling,
    So I'll never let you go, don't you leave me lonely.

I couldn't give a monkey's about popularity. Children today are far less likely to meet someone with their name than when we were young. And I don't see what's so bad with knowing someone else with your name anyway. There were 2 different spellings of my name in the top 100 of the year I was born and I thought it was cool to meet another girl with 'my' name. Giving a kid a unique name doesn't make them unique. If you really love a name, popularity shouldn't matter

I also find it odd that people talk about how their future daughters will be named Malteser, Reflux and Crayola because they want them to be unique and God forbid they should meet someone else with their name, yet their future son names are John, Robert and Michael. So, does popularity not apply when it comes to boys? Weird double standards!

With our daughter Amelia, we thought we were being somewhat original - little did we know that that same year its popularity would skyrocket! Then again, it's true that popular names nowadays aren't as popular as in years past. I grew up with a top five name and wanted to avoid that for our daughter. If popularity hadn't been an issue, I might have picked my other favorite name for her, but oh well, she's an Amelia now and it suits her perfectly.

For this new child, I try not to care too much about popularity, but it's hard. Old habits, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    I couldn't give a monkey's about popularity. Children today are far less likely to meet someone with their name than when we were young. And I don't see what's so bad with knowing someone else with your name anyway. There were 2 different spellings of my name in the top 100 of the year I was born and I thought it was cool to meet another girl with 'my' name. Giving a kid a unique name doesn't make them unique. If you really love a name, popularity shouldn't matter

I also find it odd that people talk about how their future daughters will be named Malteser, Reflux and Crayola because they want them to be unique and God forbid they should meet someone else with their name, yet their future son names are John, Robert and Michael. So, does popularity not apply when it comes to boys? Weird double standards!
    Charlieandperry, this is perfect.

Even with names outside the top 500, there are no guarantees your child will be the only one in their class. Also, there really are no guarantees that giving your child a popular name will doom them into growing up with multiple children with the same name. My name was top 20 and it honestly was rare for me to share a class with someone with the same name. In my elementary school, I was the only child in my grade with my name. It wasn't until 7th grade that I shared a class with someone with the same name and even then, it was only for a class or two.

Is going by Emma A. or Emma R. or tall Emma or brunette Emma really such a bad thing?
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey