• Sira

6 7.32%
  • Cira

1 1.22%
  • Other

3 3.66%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Red face Favorite spelling of a name pronounced SIGH-rah?

Unless I posted a looong time ago and don't remember, this is my first official post (I've commented, but I don't think I've made a thread before)! Hi

I've always loved this name, and its many, many spellings that I have seen are below.

Cira, Cirah, Cyra, Cyrah, Sira, Syra, Syrah...etc., etc.

My concern is that the name is pronounced both as SEER-uh and SIGH-rah (I prefer the latter), and with my name being Talia ('TAL' as in 'Talented' not 'Tall') I know the horrors of correcting pronunciation over....and over. I got tuh-LEE-uh, Tahl-yah, you name it. Is this one of those names that is doomed to go through what I went through? I think there are less variables for the above name, but I don't know.

I think my favorite spelling is Cyrah, because the h makes it feel more exotic to me and it would fit her appearance, but I don't want it to be too fussy or yooneek either. Also, I am worried about it being pronounced KY-ra or Keer-ah.

What do you think? What's your personal preferred spelling of it, and what spelling do you think is the most practical?

If it helps, the middle name would be Gabrielle (after my sister), and she would be cursed with the last name B@xter, which sounds like a not-so-great word if you're not careful enunciating it.

Not expecting currently...just daydreaming
    Last edited by taliawhat; January 14th, 2013 at 12:20 AM. Reason: clarification

Syrah is a type of wine, so not that.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

The only way I know of this name is Sirah, (pronounce sigh-rah) who is a musician/singer of sorts.

Lachlan Alexander - Evander 'Anders' Alcott - Cadmus Walter - Theron Xavier - Thatcher William - Peregrine North - Dresden Alasdair

Natalie Winter - Adelaide Pearl - Hermione Jane - Corisande Fable - Lavender Alina/Irie - Cordelia Autumn - Virginia Joy- Odessa Faye

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Syrah is a type of wine, so not that.
    Good point. I think I read that before, too. The name doesn't scream alcohol, though, right? I wouldn't know, I'm not that familiar with alcohol...For example, if the name was spelled Cyra, it wouldn't be up there with "Hennessy" or "Chardonnay" in associations, hopefully?

Quote Originally Posted by kibby View Post
    The only way I know of this name is Sirah, (pronounce sigh-rah) who is a musician/singer of sorts.
    Woah, never heard of that artist! My curiosity will get the better of me Oh, noticing your sig, Lachlan is my #1 boy name!