Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Changing my nickname!

Hi!
    So for a while now I've been talking about changing my nickname. My name is Eleanor nn Ellie. I can't picture Ellie on an adult, and I don't really like it that much anyway as I don't feel I am an Ellie really. Actually I met a girl a couple of years older than me the other day and she seemed SO like an Ellie! Her name was Jo which didn't seem right
    Anyway, Im not an Eleanor either (I can't picture a teenager/young adult as an Eleanor either).
    Although I was considering it I don't want to change my actual name as it would:
    A. Upset my parents
    B. Cause problems applying to sixth form
    C. I love the family history behind my name (Eleanor of Aquitaine)
    D. It's not an unusual name so I don't get strange looks.

So nicknames I am considering are: Ellia, Lana, Leah and Lena.
    Ellia- Not so different from Ellie, but more of a mouthful and just as long as Eleanor.
    Lana- I like Lana but it hasn't had an amazing response on here. Plus it's anal backwards (sounds stupid but I want to totally minimise teasing potential)
    Leah- Furthest away from Eleanor but I really like it but a possibility of pronounciation errors.
    Lena- (lee-nah)my favourite but possible pronounciation errors.

All help is very much appreciated
    My surname is Porter, and please attempt to pronounce everything in an English accent :P

Thanks,
    Ellie xx
    💖💖💖16 year old Britberry💖💖💖
    💖💖💖Writer, dreamer, lover💖💖💖

💗💗💗Girls: Willa, Rosa, Genevieve, India, Ashlyn, Alana, Sybil, Bianca, Amber, Honor, Fallon💗💗💗

💙💙💙Boys: Daniel, Elliot, Luke, Lawrence, Ronan, Aethred, Alan, Finnian, Eric, Matthew, Joe, Marius💙💙💙

My etsy shop- http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/LacianaEarrings

Out of your options, I like Lana the best. I wouldn't worry about it being "anal" backwards, but then again you know the kind of people you go to school with. People dumb enough to find that tease-worthy probably aren't bright enough to reverse Lana in the first place. ;-)

Ellia is pretty, but I've never heard it before and like you said, it's just as long to say. Leah and Lena are also pretty.

Have you considered Nora, Nell, or just plain Elle? It seems like less of a jump to get people to call you Elle than it does to get your friends to remember you're now called Lana instead of Ellie.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

What about Nora or Nell?
    My cousin's name is Ellen and she used to be Ellie; but now she's just Elle, which is super sophisticated and pretty.
    I'm 19 with a furbaby named Frederick

* Beatrix * Clementine * Penelope * Seraphina *

* Theodore * Hugo * Caspian * Arthur * Lysander *

I love the suggestions Nora and Nell. Nell just could not be more awesome. Out of your options, my favorite is Lena. It was my great grandma's name and she pronounced it with the long E as well, so it holds a special place in my heart. She actually hated it though. lol
    ~Cathryn Elizabeth~

Stay at home mommy to Benton Grover and Arwen Elizabeth.
    My fur babies are Walter and Marcheline aka Mooch.
    Current favorites: Imogen Vesper, Gwendolyn Ferelith, Charleston Wilder

Agreed about Nora and Nell. I think I lean a little more towards Nora these days but I did harbour strong affections for Elinor nn Nell a while back. It's cool that you're related to Eleanor of Aquitaine. I've got Charlemagne on my family tree. I have to go to Stafford to get the pedigree to find out exactly how I'm related to him though. "-_-

Of your choices I'd pick Lena. If it helps, I'd say 'lee-na' if I saw it written down. It wouldn't occur to me that there could be another pronunciation.
    Last edited by renrose; September 11th, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.