Results 26 to 30 of 35
Thread: Your weird naming rules
September 12th, 2013 05:50 PM #26Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jun 2013
1. Must include a saint name
2. Should preferably include a literary character
3. Must match in style/feel
4. No terrible combinations of initials
5. A letter can't be used more than twice for sibling names
4. First name can't be a word name or a nickname-name
5. First can be popular but NOT trendy (ex: William is great but Aiden is not.)
6. Generally names should be long with a few good potential nicknamesCatherine Zelie | Jude Francis
Elanor Magdalene | Finnian ??
Rosemary Lark | Calder Timothy
Genevieve ?? | William Augustine
Agnes Valentine | Harrison Peter
Lucy ~ Fiona ~ Leia ~ Jane ~ Edith ~ Primrose ~ Gail ~ Gloria
Elizabeth ~ Therese ~ Maisy ~ Susannah ~ Molly ~ Juniper
August ~ Harrison ~ Benedict ~ Andrew/Ander ~ Ignatius
Peter ~ Percival/Percy ~ Bram ~ Lewis ~ Oliver ~ Calvin
September 12th, 2013 11:08 PM #28
1. FN or MN or both must be a Saint's name or contain some reference to a Saint
2. Sib-sets cannot be polar opposites (no Mercedes and Riordan), so ultimately some kind of 'theme'
3. Popularity does not matter (Luke & Zoe being loved too much)
4. No incredibly easy to tease name (i.e. Mercedes-Benz is a nice car brand, so what can kids say? But no Ford's or Chevy's)
5. No matchy-matchy names (love Prosper and Peter, but had to choose)
6. Lastly, I must feel that if I wouldn't mind bearing the name myself (For boy names, I usually ask my brothers if they would mind having the name such-and-such, and I accept their answers unless they give a stupid reason [such as, "I never heard of it. It's stupid" or, "I know an annoying person with that name" suffice to say, my brothers are not name enthusiasts])
Last edited by chrisco; September 12th, 2013 at 11:12 PM.Arthur Casimir Fox Raphael Percy Malachi Jules Balthasar. . . . Dart Fox Pip Jules . . . . . . . . .Catherine Aliénor Marguerite Hero ﻦ Elisabet Valentina Antonia MireilleCato Maru Liesl Indie . . . . . .Buttercup Dandelion Newt Edelweiss Lionheart Wolfgang Cricket
September 13th, 2013 12:44 AM #30
I like it.
My husband likes it.
First or middle name honors a family member.
There are so many excellent names out there that I can't use bc hubby doesn't like them. I wouldn't want to limit myself further.Mother of Evander, Gabriel, and Eliza
Theodore - Jobadiah - Shepherd -- Celia - Annabelle - Calliope
September 13th, 2013 01:27 AM #32
1. I must like it.
2. SO must like it.
That's about it as far as "rules" go. There are some things I tend to go for... But they're not necessarily rules.
1. I gravitate towards nature names.
2. I like to avoid biblical names unless I absolutely love it as a name.
3. I generate a picture/scene of the name-bearer in my head and must like what I see (if I can't even get a picture then the name is out).
4. Debating whether or not I should start doing two middle names and reserve the second place for family names.
5. I hate nicknames.
6. SO and I seem to prefer four-letter names.
That's my name... Stuff.Callista ⚖My wheeks: Ganon, Impa, Din, and Tetra♀| Anna Autumn Luna Faye Kelsea Persephone Katarina♂ | Oskar Soren River Shepherd Matthias Peter Abel
September 13th, 2013 03:12 AM #34
Names should give the kid some options, they should be able to go by a nickname or their full name or be able to switch to their middle name if they want, and these options should include by traditional and unusual to give them options depending on their personality. This means names that are ever going to be seriously considered can't have any nicknames that I don't like, nicknames can't be used as given names and that an unusual name has to be paired with something more 'normal' and vice versa as well as I must love the middle name as well as the first, can't just be there for flow. The most important thing is the name has to feel right.Current Favorites:
Helena, Abigail, Ginny, Edith, Lydia, Rebecca, Miriam
Briar, Tobiah, Daniel, Callum, Reed, Robert, Abel, Raphael, Nolan
Please Vote ... http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9826126