Results 26 to 30 of 36
Thread: Your weird naming rules
September 12th, 2013 05:33 PM #26Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jun 2012
1. Must Age Well. I have to be able to visualize the name on everything from a baby to a grandparent or I couldn't do it.
2. No Bad Meanings/Connotations
3. Easy to spell/pronounce
4. Has at least 2 nn options (I have like 50 different nns for my pets, so this one's important in order for them not to end up with random nns)
5. If someone living a century ago heard my kids names they wouldn't think anything of it.Violet Gray
Sad name-obsessed teenager and aspiring writer
Current Name Crushes: August, Avery, & Flynn: Eliza, Georgiana & Dahlia
September 12th, 2013 05:50 PM #28Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jun 2013
1. Must include a saint name
2. Should preferably include a literary character
3. Must match in style/feel
4. No terrible combinations of initials
5. A letter can't be used more than twice for sibling names
4. First name can't be a word name or a nickname-name
5. First can be popular but NOT trendy (ex: William is great but Aiden is not.)
6. Generally names should be long with a few good potential nicknamesSweet Ladies:
Elanor Therese ~ Rose Clementine ~ Elizabeth Gloria ~ Abilene Cecilia
Lucy Magdalene ~ Susannah Violet ~ Caroline Mercy ~ Elsa Evangeline ~ Rosemary Luthien
Timothy Faramir ~ William Augustine ~ Percy Maximilian
Calvin Anthony ~ John Paul Atticus
September 12th, 2013 11:08 PM #30
1. FN or MN or both must be a Saint's name or contain some reference to a Saint
2. Sib-sets cannot be polar opposites (no Mercedes and Riordan), so ultimately some kind of 'theme'
3. Popularity does not matter (Luke & Zoe being loved too much)
4. No incredibly easy to tease name (i.e. Mercedes-Benz is a nice car brand, so what can kids say? But no Ford's or Chevy's)
5. No matchy-matchy names (love Prosper and Peter, but had to choose)
6. Lastly, I must feel that if I wouldn't mind bearing the name myself (For boy names, I usually ask my brothers if they would mind having the name such-and-such, and I accept their answers unless they give a stupid reason [such as, "I never heard of it. It's stupid" or, "I know an annoying person with that name" suffice to say, my brothers are not name enthusiasts])
Last edited by chrisco; September 12th, 2013 at 11:12 PM.Damian Ignatius-Jude Christian-Raphael Benedict-Charles Dominic
Caia Madeleine-Fleur Louisiana-Genevieve Azélie
September 13th, 2013 12:44 AM #32
I like it.
My husband likes it.
First or middle name honors a family member.
There are so many excellent names out there that I can't use bc hubby doesn't like them. I wouldn't want to limit myself further.Mother of Evander nn Van
Gabriel - Sebastian - Shepherd -- Eliza - Dagny - Annabelle
September 13th, 2013 01:27 AM #34
1. I must like it.
2. SO must like it.
That's about it as far as "rules" go. There are some things I tend to go for... But they're not necessarily rules.
1. I gravitate towards nature names.
2. I like to avoid biblical names unless I absolutely love it as a name.
3. I generate a picture/scene of the name-bearer in my head and must like what I see (if I can't even get a picture then the name is out).
4. Debating whether or not I should start doing two middle names and reserve the second place for family names.
5. I hate nicknames.
6. SO and I seem to prefer four-letter names.
That's my name... Stuff.Callista; 21; ♎☉ | animal; long-hair advocate; plannerMother to 4 guinea pigs ~ Ganon, Impa, Din, and introducing... Tetra!♂ | Link ❂ Soren ❂ River ❂ Shepherd ❂ Gabriel♀| Fawn ❂ Luna ❂ Faye ❂ Rhian ❂ KelseaVisit my "About Me" for my full (lazy) list